• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Amazing value in new cheap acoustics

soldano16

I'm helping a newbie buy his first acoustic guitar and figured I'd find him a 2nd hand one in the $400-600 range. Dropped by a music store looking and the salespreson talked me into trying a new $150 guitar. I was sure I'd say no way but the guitar played and sounded like a medium quality guitar. I really was floored that someone could retail that kind of quality for so little.

Walden was the brand name.

doodman

I have never heard of them. But I believe that even the lowest priced guitars- acoustic or electric- are still decently made guitars any more. 10-20 years ago that wasn't the case. Around here, we are really talking about the higher end stuff and picking through it to see what is the best of the best. But most guitars now days are good. Now, about the tone? Well......

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I saw some Waldens in July. Seemed great for the money.
China seems to be improving quality, while Indonesia isn't.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I'm not sure. My son bought a guitar from Music-yo his first year of college. It played great and sounded OK right out of the box, finish was acceptable-seemed like a great deal! By 8 months later, the neck had lifted and the bridge had tilted so that no amount of adjustment could make it play decently. I tell friends to stick to brand names now...

Heritage 80

Yamaha used to sell some some really nice low-end acoustics that held up really well. I played one recently (it was about 15 years old) and even though it hadn't had a string change for about five years it played and sounded nice.

soldano16

By 8 months later, the neck had lifted and the bridge had tilted so that no amount of adjustment could make it play decently

That was my only concern as the tone was better than acceptable - the guitar sounded really nice.

But Montreal has EXTREME humidity swings and that alone might mean it's better to invest in a guitar with a bit more reputation.

Wisertime

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
I bought my daughter her first guitar about a year ago, a Takamini acoustic, for $150. It's a fine instrument for the money.

Sonicsid

Why spend good money after bad? Spend some money on a good reasonably priced guitar, (i.e. Tacoma, Seagull or Yamaha) and keep your eye on it. If your recently inspired might suddenly lose interest, at least you still have resale value.

China + Korea + Indonesia = 0 resale dollars.

Dave Paetow

Les Paul Forum Member
Hit the pawnshops, they usually sell Seagulls at giveaway prices since they don't have a 'name'.

vseprosto90211

I bought Epiphone DR-100 as an entry-level guitar for my son. After reading various reviews on different forums and Amazon I picked this relatively expensive one. The guitar is stunning and sounds really good. I can’t describe the excitement of my son when every day he spends the whole evening practicing.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Many come from the same factory and are branded with western sounding names.

For added quality look for solid tops. Makes a HUGE difference in sound and quality/longevity. Can still be had well under 400 dollars.

I picked up a Johnson 12 string that is amazing in fit/finish and tone. ( $175 NOS at pawnshop)