• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

#8 For Sale

Led_Zeppelin

Hey, don't know if this has been posted but,

Jimmy Page Signature #8 is for sale here (not signed)

http://www.themusiczoo.com/gibson59lespauljimmypage008.htm

gibson59lespauljimmypage008.htm

Itsallmuscle

Not worth it... the duanes were much nicer and went for less and had fewer made. NOT WORTH IT..

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Itsallmuscle said:
Not worth it... the duanes were much nicer and went for less and had fewer made. NOT WORTH IT..
Plus, you got all those extra frets:lol2

privatestock

Hmm...the thing is, #008 looks like it has a plain top rather than a flame top though! Actually, it has a bit more flame on the right then that on the left! I thought all 150 of them come with flame top, am I correct?

David

B

bryvincent

privatestock said:
Hmm...the thing is, #008 looks like it has a plain top rather than a flame top though! Actually, it has a bit more flame on the right then that on the left! I thought all 150 of them come with flame top, am I correct?

David

well that makes it a more accurate replica of jimmy's :) jimmy's no.1 also has more flame on the right but the left side on the#008 is a little bit plainer on the bottom than the no.1

MikeSlub

Administrator
We saw a whole batch of Page models going through the finish line at Gibson (before going to Murphy for aging). While they have tried to emulate the left upward angle of the flame on all of the guitars, the tops look very different from one another, each having its own character, sharpness of flame, etc. There are no two pieces of wood that are alike. :)

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I love the top on this #8. If it wasn't a signature collectible, and turned out to be a featherweight, I would consider giving it a try. Those are my favorite kind of tops. That guitar looks like it could be in the 58-60 burst registry! :dude

55Custom

lpnv59, I agree. It's a "real-59-style" top. In fact, the straight on shot (only) of that guitar looks a bit like 9-0280 in BOTB, page 32. :yay

AndyMan

Les Paul Forum Member, Classic Club
I think that guitar is a dog! Heavy Grover tuners, finish beat to hell, un-even flame/plain top...if that wasn't a Jimmy Page, it would be laughed at by many here at $2,500! I just don't get the appeal of these $16k replicas!

Joneye

Hooo boy. Here we go again.

Of course it's not intrinsically worth the price, but in our capitalist society that's entirely relative to the consumer's anxiety to acquire a Jimmy Page guitar. Even if the guitar's not that special, the IDEA of the guitar is what people will fight to acquire. Then they can be anxious about it's investment performance.

So you guys are both right. :dance :dance

DaveTV

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT WORTH IT!

TOOOOOOOO YOOOOUUUUUUU!

Is everyone alive on this planet supposed to fall in line with your thinking, of what something is worth?

An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, nothing more, nothing less.

That same item does not have a value placed on it based on what you (Mr. Itsallmuscle) think about it.

I'm sure if you think hard enough, you can remember something you purchased, that others feel is NOT WORTH IT TO THEM.

Itsallmuscle

Oh man... first off... i am allowed to say not worth it on here.... without getting corrected... isnt that what a forum is!?

SEEEEEEEEECONDLY..... duanes went for how much? and they look SO much sweeter than these... ADMIT IT!! THESE ARE UGLY GUITARS... OH NO!! ABOMINATION!... but yes they are ugly... they have PURPOSELY taken un-matched tops and put them together. I dont know about sound but the duanes were kick ass. As an investment this guitar is fine... but not as a looker and probably not as a player.

rodrira1

I think the JPs are a triumph. Of good marketing.

- Produce 150 or so copies of JP's fave and get him to sign off on the first batch.
- Price them so most mere mortals can't afford them, creating instant Unobtainium Effect (why wait 40 years?) coupled with JP's mojo.
- Then crank up the production run for the mere mortals, this will bring the unit costs of production down, and unit volume numbers up, should be much higher margins than the first 150 and probably most of the other RIs due to the wonderful leverage of the unobtainium + mojo created above.

Ka-ching. Brilliant, promote the guy who came up with this.

I say if you have the coin and you want one, have at it, America is a wonderful country. But that's beside the point. Hats off to great product management and marketing, take a bow whoever you are. Should be a case study at Wharton on brand/legacy leverage.