• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Socket tool for toggle switch removal

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
A little masking tape on your trusty pliers works just fine and is virtually free.

Wilko

whatever. it works, it's safe and doesn't cost twice the price of the part being adjusted.

I'm reminded of the classic anecdote about all the money spent to develop a pen that the astronauts could use in space. They could have used a pencil.

fjminor

whatever. it works, it's safe and doesn't cost twice the price of the part being adjusted.

I'm reminded of the classic anecdote about all the money spent to develop a pen that the astronauts could use in space. They could have used a pencil.

A good tool is worth it's weight in gold. Also one man's garbage is another man's treasure.....:2cool :2cool :ganz

Wilko

There's also ROI.

You gonna work a lot of toggle switches? Buy a tool.

Occasional need, figure it out.

Sometimes we don't need a 600.00 toilet seat.

fjminor

There's also ROI.

You gonna work a lot of toggle switches? Buy a tool.

Occasional need, figure it out.

Sometimes we don't need a 600.00 toilet seat.

Exactly - with doing 5 Historics and another 4 one the way, the only way to go is with some type of tool. The risk of slippage on someone's guitar with a pair of pliers is something I would never want to deal with.:bug :bug

Wilko

"someone else" is really an A-hole.

:##

Cream Fan

Assuming no one's mentioned it already, the rough end on the Stew Mac tool is the METRIC end. That's why you're stripping it. Now, will the English side, which is grooved for the fine-toothed latter-day toggle switch nut, work with the old ones or DMC types? I'll let you know. I bought one for when my Historic Makeover arrives, as I'm told they will be shipping it with the toggle recessed into the body. Apparently, there have been too many shipped with the nuts stripped from mishandling by UPS/FedEx. Hell, all I need is for that stupid cheap-ass plastic tool to work just once.

Now, would I like a really well-made all-metal tool that did the job? You bet.

fjminor

Assuming no one's mentioned it already, the rough end on the Stew Mac tool is the METRIC end. That's why you're stripping it. Now, will the English side, which is grooved for the fine-toothed latter-day toggle switch nut, work with the old ones or DMC types? I'll let you know. I bought one for when my Historic Makeover arrives, as I'm told they will be shipping it with the toggle recessed into the body. Apparently, there have been too many shipped with the nuts stripped from mishandling by UPS/FedEx. Hell, all I need is for that stupid cheap-ass plastic tool to work just once.

Now, would I like a really well-made all-metal tool that did the job? You bet.

See my post#4. I have tried both ends on the StewMac tool endlessly. The tool works well on the Historic fine thread knurled nut. For the coarse thread knurled nut, either side is a problem. One or two uses at most, it then strips and becomes unusable. For those of you doing one nut change, this maybe your tool. But for use over and over again, good luck with that!!:ganz

Cream Fan

See my post#4. I have tried both ends on the StewMac tool endlessly. The tool works well on the Historic fine thread knurled nut. For the coarse thread knurled nut, either side is a problem. One or two uses at most, it then strips and becomes unusable. For those of you doing one nut change, this maybe your tool. But for use over and over again, good luck with that!!:ganz

I think the tool is a total piece of crap. No doubt. And I'm a tool collector, like my dad was, so I'd invest in a quality tool, if I could find it. Someone needs to step up to the plate and make one for both fine and coarse knurling, with one at each end, like a wrench. Someone like Steve Rowen at Pigtail could probably do that.

fjminor

I think the tool is a total piece of crap. No doubt. And I'm a tool collector, like my dad was, so I'd invest in a quality tool, if I could find it. Someone needs to step up to the plate and make one for both fine and coarse knurling, with one at each end, like a wrench. Someone like Steve Rowen at Pigtail could probably do that.

+1 :dude: