• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dumble Mods for Fender 1, 2 &3

NewOldCokeDave

Matt3 said:
I like your floorplan analogy Dave. Because in my mind a floorplan is something that anyone could draw up and it's just not that hard to do. Tube amps are not that hard to build, even the good sounding ones.

I would feel very bad because I wasn't motivated enough to do what you had done. I would only have myself to blame, nobody else and certainly not you. You make a lot of good points and as you can see, this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I hope I don't come off as hostile or anything.:) I also don't have as much of a problem with these guys trying to protect "their" circuit (i.e. keeping it a secret) but if the cat get's out of the bag...it's tough toenails AFAIC. There's a lot of simple things that are STILL secret like: recipe for Coke, recipe for Cambell's Chicken Noodle Soup broth, KFC's "11 herbs and spices", recipe for WD-40, etc. But IF those recipes get exposed, too bad because it's just a combination of simple ingredients.

No worries! I don't see this as any more than an exchange of opinions.. :)

I see your point.. I wish it was different, but in this world, it's definitely dog eat dog.. I have given a few things away that I probably shouldn't have.

I also agree with your POV if I ripped off your floorplans.. (Also, it's not that easy to do any of this stuff.. You must be one of the gifted folks with some vision, as I can relate to what you are saying,.. I have the same basic philosophy.. Hell, If I can do this stuff, anybody can.. But that's simply not true.. There are folks that can't do that kind of work. Not a slight on them, they just don't have whatever it is that gives them the ability to do it.)

I understand the peeves, I've been known to have a few myself ;) ;)

67SG

Both of you guys have valid opinions, this is a great place to express them. In the end, you are right, Fender will sell a million Blues Jr.'s and a MIM strat in every kettle. D*BL will have sold less than 500 amps. That is the shame and I wish AD would at least be more open minded and go to gear shows, have a web site, share his view points, etc.

Matt3

I probably owe 99.9% of what I've learned about amps, to the Internet and it's contributors.. I'm grateful for that for sure.

Me too. I haven't been at it as long as you have though, not even close.

Tweed Twin clone! Now you're talkin'! Kind of ironic after this whole discussion that it's STILL tough to beat a cranked Tweed. Thank goodness Western Electric put "biscuit recipes on the back of the bag of flour".

NewOldCokeDave

67SG said:
Both of you guys have valid opinions, this is a great place to express them. In the end, you are right, Fender will sell a million Blues Jr.'s and a MIM strat in every kettle. D*BL will have sold less than 500 amps. That is the shame and I wish AD would at least be more open minded and go to gear shows, have a web site, share his view points, etc.

He's probably smart enough *NOT* to own a computer, so he actually gets some work done!! LOL Hee Hee! ;)

NewOldCokeDave

Matt3 said:
Me too. I haven't been at it as long as you have though, not even close.

Tweed Twin clone! Now you're talkin'! Kind of ironic after this whole discussion that it's STILL tough to beat a cranked Tweed. Thank goodness Western Electric put "biscuit recipes on the back of the bag of flour".

Yeah after years of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.. I just keep going back to the basics..

Yeah WestElec definitely did us all a HUGE favor.. :)

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Matt3 said:
Tweed Twin clone! Now you're talkin'!

You haven't lived until you hear one of NOCD's tweed twin clones. Talk about tonal heaven! :dude

NewOldCokeDave

CDaughtry said:
You haven't lived until you hear one of NOCD's tweed twin clones. Talk about tonal heaven! :dude

Blush!! :)

Thank you Mr. D... :) Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!!

rfrakes

loverocker would you email me those pdfs also? Can you get the D sound out of a Pedal? Seems like the HRM was just a Dual FET pedal put in front of his base amp. I had read that Leo was an Army Radio Operator in WWII. And his designs came out of Army Radio manuals. I am thinking of modding a Tweed Pro amp clone I've had for a while and make it into a Pumble. Was there really just a Fender Champ miced behind a fake wall of Speaker cabs? This was a good read thanks.