• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

$3.5 Million Strad pulled from trash!

Heritage 80

Proof that vintage gear can be found in unlikely places!

(AP) A 320-year-old missing cello is now back with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association, having possibly avoided becoming one of the most expensive CD racks ever.

Link

davegeetar

I've played some '70s Deluxes that made good ballast for my hot air balloon.

Wannatone

Hum... a CD holder... interesting... :rof

how many toothpicks do you get out of a Burst? :bonk

Don

The chellist accidentally left it outside his home!
I wouldn't accidentally leave a broken Squier Strat outside of my home!

Aular

Actually the lack of information and internet access is the one reason that makes South America an unlike place to find gear, you'll be amazed of the things people have overthere without knowing what they have....I have found many things like a 1957 Strat that I bought for $ 300 dollars and in 2 months I'm flying to get a 1971 Marshall Super Bass...the price?..well the owner wants to swap the head for a Line 6 Pod which = $ 280...of course most musicians bought all this gear 30, 40 years ago and they don't have any knowledge of what "Vintage" really means.

I'm not taking advantage of these people am I?...

You know, several years ago a violinist left the Stradivarious violin he had on loan sitting on top of his car and drove off. Methinks some of these egghead musicians are spacier than Rock's basketcases. Has Keith Richards ever left any of HIS vintage gear on the street? He might not remember his own name sometimes, but he'd still remember to put the guitar in the trunk and shut it!

Reinhard

Ramrodrowdyyates said:
You know, several years ago a violinist left the Stradivarious violin he had on loan sitting on top of his car and drove off. Methinks some of these egghead musicians are spacier than Rock's basketcases. Has Keith Richards ever left any of HIS vintage gear on the street? He might not remember his own name sometimes, but he'd still remember to put the guitar in the trunk and shut it!

:lol2 :bonk

Scrutinizer

RRRY, I remember hearing about that missing Strad. Is this the one?
http://www.cozio.com/Instrument.aspx?id=1405

A similar thing happened to a 200+ year old Guadagnini violin once owned by my Aunt and Uncle. The story, as told to me by my father, happens on a dark and rainy night after a concert in the late 60’s. Leaving Orchestra Hall, they hailed a taxi, but left the violin case containing the priceless instrument on the roof. Gravity held it there as the taxi navigated the city streets, but once on the expressway, it fell off. Seems it first slid off the roof and hit the trunk, ‘cause inside the cab they heard a thump.

Imagine the horror of realizing what that thump sound meant. :bug

Cab pulls over to the shoulder, and the hunt for a busted up violin begins. Remember, the couple had just left the concert (both played in the 1st violin section at the time, IIRC), so he’s in his black tux and she’s in a long black dress. It’s dark. It’s raining. Eventually a squad car shows up and law enforcement joins the search.

They did eventually find it in the ditch. The case was in bad shape, but it had done its job protecting the priceless violin. The Guad was not damaged - not even a scratch.

53Goldtop

Scrutinizer:

Don't think that's the same one. That Strad was stolen in the 70's, and although the woman who "inherited" it might have had a claim on the violin, she took $11K, (for a 3-5 million dollar violin) and it was returned to it's rightful owner UCLA. BTW, there are several missing high-end pieces. Check out:

http://www.saztv.com/page36.html

burstgrrl

it's amazing how 'well-documented' the Strad market is.....if the burst market ever gets to that point, i'd hope it would be the same....

DopeyJake

davegeetar said:
I've played some '70s Deluxes that made good ballast for my hot air balloon.

I've seen some bursts that would look good in my fireplace.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Yup--and I've seen, and played, a late 60s Deluxe that would SPANK most original Bursts--go figure...

gmann

Just last year or the year before a Stad was left in a New York cab. It was eventually returned. FWIW, I don't think Keith would remember, that's what guitar techs and roadies are for. I would be suprised if Keith has carried any gear since the early '60's.

P-Rock

Just last year or the year before a Stad was left in a New York cab. It was eventually returned. FWIW, I don't think Keith would remember, that's what guitar techs and roadies are for. I would be suprised if Keith has carried any gear since the early '60's.

That was Yo Yo Ma who left his cello in the trunk of a NYC Taxi.

He later recorded a public service announcement to be played when customers enter cabs, reminding people not to forget any of their belongings.

refin

Rich R said:
Yup--and I've seen, and played, a late 60s Deluxe that would SPANK most original Bursts--go figure...

It happens.......more than some of us will admit.

GeetarGoul

I admit to forgetting and losing my favorite surfboard at the beach a year or so ago. =( :bh :nay :bonk

59Cherrytop

Mint Gibson in trash

It's not anything like a Strad or F-5 but.. this reminds me when a "The Gibson" mandolin was left in the trash can.

Back in 1973 I once bought a mint 1917 Gibson A model mandolin from my Grandmother's friend in Point Loma.. who had actually left it in the trash for a few days! She all of a sudden remembered my Grandmother telling her about my instrument collection and thought maybe I would like it. She had figured nobody wanted an old mandolin since they weren't popular anymore. So we went over and she only wanted $25 for it! She was happy and so was I! It was luckily protected in the black and purple case and nobody lifted the can lid. I made a point to play it for my Grandmother Gracey for years. I'm sure those Big G men find all kinds of musical instruments from time to time.

Last edited: