• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

54/56 RI Gold Top, or Historic Les Paul Special?

Blueser

I am getting set to pull the trigger on a P90 Les Paul. I really like the Les Paul Special, but also like the GT's. I have played both, and they are both sweet, so I am really undecided at this point.

It appears that a GT RI is only a few hundred $$$ more than a Les Paul Special, which based on the workmanship would make it a better value. What are your thoughts on these two, and what would you do in my position?

Thanks,
B

nsriley

Well would you have a chance at trying any at a local dealer? I just got a beauty of a R6 and I love it!!!!! The neck is very thick.....so consider that......I can't speak of the other guitars as I have never played them...but the R6 rocks!!!!

-peace
-Nate

gmann

I had an Historic Special. While it was a great guitar it wasn't special, no pun intended. I have an R6 and a R4. My personal opinion is either of these guitars beat the Special hands down. I've like every R4 and R6 I've played better than any Historical Special I've played. It's not just a preference for Goldtops or maple caps cause I like both of my Jr's, a '56 & a '59 better than my R4 or R6. Just a personal preference.

Eugie Baange

Me? I'd go with the R6... then again, I *did*

Sweet guitar and, yes, as has been oft pointed out, there is the neck.
I love a nice chunk of lumber for a neck. YMMV.

Blueser

One other thing I was considering is to get an R7, and install either a P94 or a Harmonic Design Z90 in the neck position, and leaving the bridge humbucker in tact. This may give me the most flexibility. Decisions, decisions!

TT100

Closeup_body.jpg

But I've never played a Special.....

:hmm

MOtter

It depends on what you're going to play with it. Do you want that rich, warm, bluesy tone? Goldtop'll have it. If you want a raw, twangin, gritty, powerful, rock-and-roll machine, a special or a junior is the only thing that will deliver.

Of course either will definitely be able to cross over and cover most of the other's territory, but that's how I think of these two guitars.

Blueser

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to go with the R7. I can just drop a P94 or a HD Z90 in the neck, if I am looking for the "P90" like tone.

moonweasel

Blueser,

check out the seymour duncan Phat Cat as well. Nickel cover, HB sized, real P-90.

rays44

Blueser said:
Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to go with the R7. I can just drop a P94 or a HD Z90 in the neck, if I am looking for the "P90" like tone.

Good choice and good logic. The Z90 is not a P90 though. If you want a P90, get the P94. If you want something different, the Z90's are great.

gitarzilla

moonweasel said:
Blueser,

check out the seymour duncan Phat Cat as well. Nickel cover, HB sized, real P-90.

I like the Phat Cat too for P90 in a HB hole.

gotdabluz

Les Paul Forum Member
I've noticed that the SD Phat Cats have Alnico II mags, whereas the real P-90's (and 94's) have V's . . . how would this affect the sound?

Anybody A/B'd them?

Minneapolis Slim

I just tried a Historic SG Special the other day. P90s and a wrap bridge, TV Yellow finish. Sweet!! I've never heard P90 sounds like that guitar. My LP Pro isn't even in the same ball park.

Based on that, I'd have to go with the slab guitar. I should try a Historic Goldtop with P90s to hear that combo, but I can't imagine anything sweeter sounding than that SG.