• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gold Top 52/53 info

dansoci

reply to mikeslub

Hi Mike,

I'd be very happy if you could help me to find the goldtop that I'm looking for.
I'd appreciate if you could give me the name of a few vintage guitar dealers worthy of trust.

In the meantime I've found some dealers in G-Base that have 52/53 goldtop.

1) Southworth Guitar (www.southworthguitar.com):
Right now he has a 1953 Les Paul Goltops with trapeze bridge 100% original at $9,500.
He say:

- The neck angle of the 1952/1953 Goldtops with trapeze bridge is the same.

- On these guitars I can mount only an original 1958 ABR-1 tune-o-matic bridge. With any other bridge I will have to reset the neck.

Please let me know if it's true, if he is a dealer worthy of trust and what it is an original 1958 ABR-1 tune-o-matic bridge.
Besides let me know if for you it's a too high price.

2) Again:

- Rumble Seat Music (www.**********music.com):
Right now they have a 1952 Les Paul Goldtops with trapeze bridge.

- Lark Street Music (www.larkstreet.com):
They have a 1952 Les Paul Goldtops all gold with trapeze bridge, with selector switch shaft top broken off- still works at $6,500.
I've emailed them two time but I've not received a their answer.

- Bald Ice Guitars (www.gbase.com - email: vaifan2000@aol.com):
They have a 1953 Les Paul Goldtops with trapeze bridge, with input jack replaced but original included, with no pickguard.
I've emailed them two time but I've not received a their answer.

Please let me know if they are dealers worthy of trust.

P.S. I've sent more email at mikeslub@aol.com but I've not received reply.

Thank,
Daniele

MikeSlub

Administrator
Daniele: I've never received any emails from you, so there must be a problem on your end, because I get email from everyone else! I tried emailing you today. :)

nicogeen1

can you tell me about the neck angle of a 1952 are they upbow or backbow cause in a video on youtube a guy said 1952 are flatter but his hand waved like upbow so can you help me out with this qeustion:dude::dude: love your guitars by the way amazing

1952, 1953, 1954 and 1956 Goldtops:
full_609_p8574.jpg
[/QUOTE]

sws1

If you were holding the guitar like you were playing it, a higher neck angle means the head stock is further towards your back. A low neck angle has the headstock more towards the front of your body.

A higher neck angle also means the bridge is higher. Lower means the bridge sits closer and closer to the body.

52s have lower neck angle, and when converted to later 50s specs, are often modified to have more angle put into the neck joint.