• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Second Strings Project

1954Gold

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but I came across this "Second String" Project which collects used guitar strings and then distributes them to players in third world countries. Looks like a good way to recycle metal and do some good:

http://www.darrylpurpose.com/2ndstrng/2ndstrng.htm

Does anyone have any info on this?

Alex

Les Paul Forum Member
Hell if I pick up all the string off the floor in my little corner of the warehouse we practice at, they could probably string up 4 or 5 guitars :)

1954Gold

Yeah, and what really got me is the story of how in El Salvador they make a nut out of a pencil!!!

timinator

Ah nuts

1954Gold said:
Yeah, and what really got me is the story of how in El Salvador they make a nut out of a pencil!!!

When I was in highschool I made one out of a toothbrush handle so I had something to play in guitar class. Looked kinda cool, see thru blue. Wow was I broke.

Soapbarstrat

Sorry, I need all the strings I got. Just got a Wolfgang neck sent in, and needed a 9-42 set to put on it, while on my "surrogate body" . Found 2 .011"s in my "string box". One broke, so if it wasn't for the 2nd one, I would have had to wait until the next day to go to a music store to buy an 11, or, whole set.