• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Stew Mac Black Fingerboard Stain

59 Darkburst

I am thinking about staining the fretboard of a Historic 59' 335. This model has the dot markers on the fretboard.

The fingerboard is very light and streaky so I am hoping this dye will do the trick.

If I use this Stew Mac Oil dye on the board will it stain the dot markers?

Is this stain only to be used on boards with MOP inlays?

I don't want to stain the dot markers so if someone has some experience in this area and could advise me that would be terrific.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/Fingerboard_Stain.html

Thanks.

gmann

59 Darkburst said:
Maybe no one here knows. How about this, why don't you email Stew-Mac and ask them. They have a help center on their website.

Last edited:
C

chumbucket

This was brought up in an earlier thread. You can use this product safely. It won't stain the binding, inlays, markers or anything you don't want it to. It works good for making your fingerboard a nice uniform black.

ClaptonisGood

chumbucket said:
This was brought up in an earlier thread. You can use this product safely. It won't stain the binding, inlays, markers or anything you don't want it to. It works good for making your fingerboard a nice uniform black.

I just finished using this product for the first time this week (3 guitars, a 93 LP, a Strat Relic and a Seagull acoustic)...the results are fantastic but it will stain inlays binding and nut but there is a very easy work-around that i used...first, i taped off the nut and and also around the neck on the body to protect the finish...i applied it with a Q-tip, staining approx 3 or four fret positions at a time...i let it set-up for a couple of minutes and then rubbed/buffed off the risidual with a soft cotton cloth...i found i could remove the stain on inlays and (especially the binding) by lightly using 0000 steel wool (follow the grain)...try not get any stain on the nut because it is very difficult to remove...i found that gentle scraping with a good ex-acto knife is the best way to remove it from the nut if it does get on it...the overall results are absolutely fantastic! very even and convincing...all three guitarts I did this to are rosewood boards and now they all have a very even, look...the guitars are now much more pleasing to my eye
Brad

FlyingVBlues

I'm also very interested in this product. I just bought 4 ounce jars of the black, dark brown, light brown, mahogany, walnut and chocolate Professional Oil Dye's directly from Fiebing, the supplier of the Stew Mac product. I have a blank rosewood fretboard that I bought from Stew Mac, and this week I plan to experiment with the different colors that I've purchased. I'll post some pics once I'm done.

FVB

59 Darkburst

Thanks for the info. I was worried that it might stain the inlays but hadn't even thought about the binding. Sounds like you really need to be careful using this stuff as you could end up with a lot of headaches if you don't. I think using a q tip would be a good method to use.

Indiana Erick

It would indeed be a good idea to mask off the inlays, bindings and nut.
This stuff is actually a leather stain for horse saddles, it penetrates very deep.

CorganX

you might try just ebony stain by a minwax or some other water based dye. Wipe it on, wipe it off. Anything that doesn't take dye to easily (binding, inlay) it should just wipe off of.

Test it first though on something not as valuable.:wow

cold_lump

the minwax crap doesnt work for this. i tried it.
the stew mac stuff works, but will stain everything it touches! alittle naptha and elbow grease usually gets it out of binding and inlays.
a guy once told me here at the forum to try this:
first color all your fretboard with a wide tip black sharpie, let soak in and dry. then go over that with black shoe polish (the liquid form in a bottle). let it dry.clean up excess with naphtha.
believe it or not i tried it and it worked too!!!!!
if you go with the stew mac stuff, tape off everything, cover your work area, and TAKE YOUR TIME.
good luck!
c_l

Wattage

I've used it. I didn't have a problem staining the inlays or anything but my fingers get mighty black when playing for any length of time.

VIVE

Maybe no one here knows. How about this, why don't you email Stew-Mac and ask them. They have a help center on their website.
omg just found this thread after accidentally ordering a Les Paul standard with a rosewood fingerboard, I ordered the stain from stew mac, you want to know more about how to use it we'll...the instructions are in the advert page but for details you need to buy a dvd ! the world is getting nuts

zacknorton

Follow the directions at stew Mac and you won’t have any problems

and it will not stain your dots or binding.

its not an oil. It’s basicallg India Ink. But you do need to follow their process, or it won’t work in the same way.

It’s alwsy worked as advertised for me and ive used it multiple times.

VIVE

Follow the directions at stew Mac and you won’t have any problems

and it will not stain your dots or binding.

its not an oil. It’s basicallg India Ink. But you do need to follow their process, or it won’t work in the same way.

It’s alwsy worked as advertised for me and ive used it multiple times.
i checked out this video
and this ink does not seem to be as dark or black like ebony, at the begining of the video it did but the end result shows streaks, are you getting better results?

thanks

zacknorton

That’s not the stew Mac instruction vid.

Follow their steps and you’ll be golden.

I think They recommend scraping the board, drying it with Naptha and then soaking the board with the dye overnight...and then a couple other things. It’s on their website.

If you get the board good and dried out it will suck up all the India ink you can throw at it and that equals dark, dark dark.

If you dont don’t follow their step by step you’ll wind up with something else. It’s easy.

garywright

i checked out this video
and this ink does not seem to be as dark or black like ebony, at the begining of the video it did but the end result shows streaks, are you getting better results?

thanks

The before looked better