• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

historic questions

skydog

I'm thinking about buying an historic '58 but wanted to get some info from the folks here. The first questions has to do with frets. I like large frets that are easy to bend with. How big are these reissue frets? The other questions is: strictly talking tone and feel, can you guys describe the difference between these historics and the standard production LPs? I guess I want to know if the price difference is reflected in a better tone and feel.
Thanks a million!

Bobby Lee

Southern Sage
Blasphomy !!! I just hope lightning don't strike when God sees that, cuz I know he likes the Brothers.

Be worthy.

GotWood

I sure hope you don't use your name (Skydog) when your on stage and if you do............well,........ you better be one hell of a guitarist!

The 58s are just as good as the 59 re-issues. Less money for the same guitar with a different color.

NOW CHANGE YOUR USER NAME! :fist

Plankspanker

I agree there was only one and there will not be another. How about "Spacedog" for a compromise.

Tim C.

Sky,

The reissue '58, '59 and goldtop '57's are definately worth the extra initial outlay of cash. They are by far the best Les Pauls made in the last several years.

I have owned several Les Pauls and the 1999 and newer ri's have better sustain than the other models in my humble opinion. They ring like a good piano when you play a chord. I was amazed the first time I played one.

The 1999 model '59 RI's have taller frets than the 2001 models. I don't know if this is true with all of them, but the neck is a bit beefier on my 2001 than my 1999. It is hardly perceptable though.

I would suggest that you buy a 1999 or newer model as they have all the newest changes to make them more authentic. The 2001 models have the addition of an aluminum tailpiece that the earlier issues don't.

If cash is an issue then go for a '57 goldtop RI. You can get those brand new for around $2200.00. They are absolutely wonderful guitars.

Good luck in your quest! :)

Tim C.