• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'59 'Burst Registry

Buddy59

If adding 'em up from separate posts is what it takes, maybe I will!

I was wondering if there have any long running posts where 59'ers aspired to accounting for what's out there. The thought of doing this didn't even cross my mind until I visited this forum for the first time last week.

Maybe it's the case that only a handful of 'burst owners frequent this forum and therefore this is a futile effort. Again, I am new here and trying to understand any efforts that have gone on in the past.

adding up is one thing, but having a verified list is another. And that might be a chore. I remember Jim Werner from Iowa had a Fender registry. But with all the parts changeable on a Fender, whats real,
and whats not? Maybe there can be like (heres a dream) certain places (like forum dealers) that if arrangements were made with them, guitars could be photo'd, and all notes taken, and then put together (list) a few times a year for updating. This would probably only have to deal with the Les Pauls, that are not already documented. It does sound monumental.

Last edited:

Chef Greg

A 'burst registry could also serve to hinder or flush out the "forgeries" that may be out there

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Chef Greg said:
A 'burst registry could also serve to hinder or flush out the "forgeries" that may be out there
To me, that would be one of its prime uses

also correct, than non existant. Meaning, if a fake is known, publish the serials, as in refins, repairs, etc. I still think it would be an unforgiving task.

kookaburra

Banned
Oh yes, of course it will be a mammoth challenge if we take it on, but hell we are talking about something of which potentially 45 years of information has been lost. I think the longer it is left unattempted, the harder it becomes. The longer it is left, the more snooty billionaire businessmen with no interest in music buy up bursts and lock them away forever. If the challenge is to be accepted, it better begin now. Yes, ok, it is highly doubtful if not impossible that we will ever have a complete list. But with all the guys here that own/have owned bursts, and are willing to share their information, we can make a good start on it. Tom for instance, you seem pretty keen on this idea, and you have owned god knows how many over the years, and have knowledge of countless others. You have already shared with us pics and info none of us would ever have seen if it wernt for you. There are others too, without being rude, would it be possible Mr D and, maybe if we can get him back onside, Mr Ganz may help with this? Just thoughts.

Jon

loverocker

It's an interesting idea, I'd love to see it. Anything that might let me see more of "9 0357" (swoon) is A-OK in my book :)

BUT ... it'll take a lot of balls for the little guys to register. Those burst forgeries are out there somewhere, and I pity the guys who paid a fortune for their bursts who get told "oh, that was the forgery I saw at the '98 Somethingorother Show", etc.

There will be flames and tears a-plenty, but that shouldn't put us off.

FlyingFred

Burst registery

I am willing to take the time and accept pictures for the registery, wich I would make available as soon as I hear back from Lily.

fbellemare AT hotmail.com for pics and contributions.

Buddy59

Does anyone know of another registry for a specific guitar, or any musical instrument, that was successful? Would this be the first I wonder?

loverocker

I saw a register of Hamer 4-digit serial numbers a couple of days ago. Very simple, no photos, though.

FlyingFred

registery

Not yet, but still hoping.... Making it available to everyone would be just great!

Buddy59

Just wanted to bump this up to the top so that this discussion doesn't get buried.

I guess there has been no movement on this yet.

B

Bluejazz

I would assume a thread could be started where you list the ones discussed/shown in the Forum so far, and it can be added to as time goes on or as research continues.
However, in the amidst of all that info there would be all those drooling emoticons that guys post plus tangentary conversations about one burst or another, and so on. I'm not sure how you'd go about keeping it strictly a research thread without extraneous commentary. Even then you'd have to post them in numerical order, I assume, so that people can find them without wading through pages of posts.
It's a good idea that needs some well thought out designing.

darkwave

Re: Registry

I know of a registry for Steinberger instruments from Newburgh an Tennessee. It lists number, model, and special notes (ie. prototype, custom color). My GL was on it at one time, but it doesn't appear to be there anymore. No clue why it's gone...

-Douglas C.

Buddy59 said:
Does anyone know of another registry for a specific guitar, or any musical instrument, that was successful? Would this be the first I wonder?