• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Charlie Daniels' Stolen Burst

I heard about a C Daniels burst that was stolen years back, from J Rolph. How long ago was it stolen?

58burst

Nice!
Is it just my eyes, or does that bridge look to be set unusually far back from the treble pickup, and close to the tailpiece?

-Pete

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
doesn't look like there is much angle to the bridge. Pearly Gates looks that way too.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
When I checked out Charlie's "Burst" [over 20 years ago] I didn't think it was quite right. It didn't look like a real Burst. I was not in a situation where I could even open up the control cavity, so I got little more that a quick look.

MHGOLDTOP

I agree about that bridge...awfully straight. I don't know anything more about this guitar.

Cody

58burst said:
Is it just my eyes, or does that bridge look to be set unusually far back from the treble pickup, and close to the tailpiece?

Flavum

58burst said:
Nice!

-Pete

I'd guess that it's the treble pickup that's mounted too far away from the bridge. Otherwise, the guitar would be impossible to intonate. Maybe they goofed on the routing and just said "Ah, the heck with it". :)

photo detail

All burst tops are so individual due to their grain pattern. Can anyone enhance that photo in photoshop (or the like) and bring out the grain more?

Does anybody have any other close up photos?

Anyone have an old Guitar Player magazine interview with CD concerning his les paul, what year it is, etc.?

1959burst

Mesa Master
yup re-necked in the 70's( gibson might of moved the bridge) didn't he get that back?i'm almost certain he did........by the way charlie left it in the back seat of his vw beetle!!!!! when it was stolen....:wow :lol2 :lol2 :lol2

24loar

I recall reading the original article in GP years ago. CD said that
" I know it's a '58 sunburst", However, the picture on the cover looks different than the one posted here. He got the guitar at The OldTime Pickin' Parlor in Nashville years ago.

The knobs are definitely not from '58 on the posted pic, and the top color and grain differ significantly from the original GP cover.

1959burst

Mesa Master
i'm still pretty sure he got it back.;) in an interview years later he said he retired her and gibson made him some reissues to go out on the road with.... ;)

Last edited:

Johnnytone

Les Paul Forum Member
Re: photo detail

419_p20192.jpg

Last edited:
Johnnytone enhanced photo

Nice work Johnnytone!! It's like getting a new pair of glasses and being able to see again. Note the roughly 45 degree angle of the medullary grain heading to the bridge pickup volume knob and the flamey area to the left of the bridge and stop tail piece. This is a pretty clear fingerprint of this guitars' top. Now we need some burst detectives to match this one up. Maybe Charlie himself will reply if he indeed has it or not. Keep looking for now and stay tuned! Thanks Johnnytone and MHGoldtop!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Here's a shot of Charlie Daniels Les Paul, from Oct 1980. It doesn't look like the same guitar to me.
917_p20198.jpg

I hope this comes out, this thread seems to be stuck.

Last edited: