• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Stramp Amp

plaintop

It looks to be a 2x10 or 2x12 combo w/Alnicos from 70s? Are these good? Worth $200?

Neill MacInnis

I'm pretty sure Leslie West used to use em. I think maybe humble Pie too but I might be mixed up with carlsboro or somethin.

I saw one in Songbird music not that long ago for about 400 CAN so 200 seems pretty good.

burstone

Is that what you did during lunch, picking up an amp for yourself but not tone-testing another amp for me that I asked you to very nicely? Thanks friend!:dead: :lol1

HighOrder

I'll Take It!!!!

For $200 ... I'd be all over it if it's a player. Check the back of Pittman's Tube Amp book. I'm pretty sure it's a plexi-type circuit with some minor differences. Man, I'd like to see it.

Wannatone

pt59,

are you talking about the same 2x12 SS amp that I have? I didn´t fix it yet, but use it as a cab for testing speakers. The AlNiCo´s sound pretty dark.
If it´s a tube amp, it´s probably worth the bucks.

Mine is a K85 model. Just found a K80 model in my ´71 product folder that could perhaps be a tube amp.

Made in Hamburg, AFAIK.

Adrian

plaintop

Hey guys,

I think it is a SS amp. Input and contol knobs on top. It's very low to the ground and stout. This one has castors fitted. Stramp logo in a diamond shape on the front grill.

I don't see it in the Tube Amp book.

???

garbud

I own 2 of the older 100 watt Stramp tube heads. They sound pretty awesome due largely to the transformers, but the PCB's are junk. When the late Peter Streuven (Stramp) entered into a deal with Dynacord to increase production, Dynacord changed everything and Streuven wanted nothing to do with the inferior SS amps. Shortly thereafter they ceased production. The Stramp/Dynacord SS amps are worthless IMO. You can still find the original Stramp tube heads in Europe from time to time for a few hundred bucks. Most are in pretty bad shape though, but if you can tune one up and make it live it's huge sounding. The tube heads have been used by Leslie West, Rory Gallagher and others just to name a few.

Garbud

Ausadams

pt59,

are you talking about the same 2x12 SS amp that I have? I didn´t fix it yet, but use it as a cab for testing speakers. The AlNiCo´s sound pretty dark.
If it´s a tube amp, it´s probably worth the bucks.

Mine is a K85 model. Just found a K80 model in my ´71 product folder that could perhaps be a tube amp.

Made in Hamburg, AFAIK.

Adrian
Hey let me know if you have that stramp head still. I’m really interested and want to buy one ! Thanks and you can pm or email me!

jrgtr42

Hey let me know if you have that stramp head still. I’m really interested and want to buy one ! Thanks and you can pm or email me!

Considering the thread is 17 years old, and that person hasn't been active in almost 3 years, I doubt you'll get a reply on that...