• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Cap across volume pot?

Any opinions on what would be a good cap value to put across the volume pot to help clean up the tone of the guitar when the volume is turned down? Would this have a negative effect on tone when the volume is on 10? (the guitar in question is a custom with 57 classics/ modern wiring):hippy

58burst

I get some alligator-clip leads from radio shack, and then try a few different values-
Caps are cheap, and if you're on an ultra-tight budget, get a few ceramic caps from RS for pennies til you get the right value, then spring for a mica cap-(much smoother).
For humbuckers, you'll probably be happy between 500pf and 1000pf, in my experience.

But try this:
1) Set your guitar up with 50's wiring (tone wire from sweeper of volume pot instead of hot end)
2) RUN YOUR TONE CONTROLS ON ABOUT 5- and set up your amp brighter to compensate so's you'll have a good, brightish tone with those settings-
MAGIC! Your pickups will sound GREAT at any volume control setting!

-Pete

GlassSnuff

Nice answer, Pete. :dude

Haven't tried it myself, but people I respect have mentioned using a resistor in series with the bypass cap. That is, find a cap that's just a bit too dark, and then instead of trying a different cap with a slightly lower value, add a resistor (maybe 50K or 100K?) to the dark cap to reduce it's effect.

hottub

I too wanted to retain my highs as the volume is rolled down. I bought a .001mf ceramic disk cap from Radio Shack for next to nothing and soldered it in place. I'm still amazed at the results. Can't believe such a little thing could give me the results I was looking for. My tone is preserved no matter what my volume is set on. Wish I had done this mod a long time ago!

rmconner80

I did this to my two Fenders this weekend - I used a 1000pf cap in series with a 100K resistor. Works great, better to my ears than a cap alone. One has a 550K volume pot (humbuckers in the guitar) so I think these values work for 250Ks and 500Ks.

Harry Colonic Jr

This is intriguing... I'd like to try it in my LPS tomorrow. Can somebody describe for me exactly how to wire the cap? I already have 50's style wiring.

Last edited: