• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Slide vibrato

N

Nigel

I have no problem with vibrato when fretting a guitar in the usual way but I've always had a tough time applying slide vibrato that doesn't sound out of tune and crappy. Anybody have any tips for how to consistently get a smooth, in-tune vibrato with slide?

dragon

Keep your thumb anchored in one place on the back of the neck when you do stop on a note to use vibrato with the slide. Notice that the round edge of the slide needs to come up to the fret area where the string would normally touch the fret (maybe a hair more to make up for not being pressed down). Then adjust your movement for the width of your vibrato in even increments. I also have a little padding in my slide so it seats firmly to my finger and doesn't shift while I'm playing, I've read where some put quarters on top to increase weight of the slide for sustain.
oops starting to ramble.:lol2