• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pentatonic scales

lefty

I couldn't think of a good title for this question, so I just jump right in and see if I can frame the question successfully.

Suppose I'm playing over a 12-bar progression in A. Over the V chord in bar 9 I might do a little pentatonic run using notes from the Em pentatonic scale, like this:

e ----------------------------
B------------------------12-
G--------------12--14------
D----12--14----------------
A-----------------------------
E-----------------------------

Winding up on the B, which is the 5 of E. Say I shift the pattern down two frets and repeat it over the IV chord, this time as a Dm pentatonic, like this:

e ----------------------------
B------------------------10-
G--------------10*-12------
D----10--12----------------
A-----------------------------
E-----------------------------

Now the question: I've been told that the note I've starred (*), which is an F, the b3 of the Dm pentatonic (and the b6 of A), is a no-no in the key of A because it does not appear in the scale of A (or Am), is not diatonic to the key of A.

Is this "rule" correct? If so, why?

Dwell

First, F is diatonic in A minor.

Second, playing the run in the "D box" works fine in A minor.

Third, the first run in the "E Box" doesn't work in A major or in A minor, against a V (E7). Change the G to a G# and you're good.

Remember, V chords are always dominant, never minor.

lefty

See, this is where I get confused. I was told that I shouldn't play the b3 of D over the the IV (or at all, actually, when in A), and you're saying don't play the b3 of E over the V when in A.

The confusion partly arises from if I were to say "the heck with this, I'll just use Am pentatonic scales over all three chords", I'd be playing that G a lot, but never G# or F. So is it "wrong" to do that, or just uneducated?

Dwell

Well, you need to know what chords you'll be playing against. And you need to differentiate between A and Am.

For a basic blues in Am, the main chords will be i iv V7. That means Am, Dm, and E7.

For a similar progression in A, the chords will be I IV V7. That means A, D, and E7.

So in Am, you definitely want the m3 of the iv (the Dm chord). Regardless of whether it's Am or A, you don't want a m3 over the V7 chord (the E7).

Now, let me seemingly contradict myself- in some minor blues, you will find what appears to be a v chord (minor). It's not actually the v, though- it's being used as the ii of iv, but that's too complicated to get into right now. Anyway, check out "All Your Loving" from the Beano album for a textbook example of where I appear to be wrong. <g>

But you have to know what role the V7 is playing, and play accordingly. And there will be times when a quick m3 against the V7 will sound OK. But you should be able to play both, and choose phrases based on sound/feel, not muscle memory.

Anyway, I suggest learning "All Your Loving" and "Life Without You" by SRV as great examples of blues progressions that throw major and minor pentatonic opportunities at you.

dfs69

I have a question...

If I'm playing a 12 bar blues in A, and I want it to sound "sad"/minor, I should then start the 1st minor pentatonic position with my index finger on the A note on the 6th string/ 5th fret as my root. Correct?

If I want it to sound "happy"/major, then I fret the same note with my pinky and play the patterns, but dont play the F#. Correct?

Do these "rules" apply when you play a 12 bar in Am?

Dean

dfs69

I just found the subject on the boxes, but it doesnt address playing in A or Am. Because Am would be Am, Dm, and E. And I assume playing in A would be A, D, and E (yes, I know what they say about assume).

Dean