• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Major and minor scales question(s)

BluesForDan

All Access/Backstage Pass
At work, every monday, I have to watch a printer during the weekly checkrun. It takes a little more than an hour. Boring as sh*t, so i started taking a pad of paper with me, and writing out scales in the circle of fifths. I've gotten from C to G to D to A to B, and then I get stuck. After B, I start to run into scale degrees that get a sharp and become a new degree altogether ie B#= C and E#= F

for instance, the major scale ( whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step)
C D E F G A B C
G A B C D E F# G
D E F# G A B C# D
A B C# D E F# G# A
E F# G# A B C# D# E
B C# D# E F# G# A# B
here's where i begin to get fuzzy
F# G# A# B C# D# E#=(F) F#
then this
C# D# E#=(F) F# G# A# B#=(C) C#

It would seem to me that the last 3 are probably not used that much, as there is probably a flatted key which has the same scale degrees and is easier to write without all the sharps.

Theory gurus, please allow me to avail upon your knowledge
Am I on the right track?

Holy shit, I just realized something. Looking at this post, I just realized if you start with C at the 3 fret 5th string, the cycle of fifths goes up one string to the 3rd fret 6th string, then down two frets to 5th fret 5th string, up to 5 fret 6th string, down two frets to 7th fret 5th string, up to 7th fret 6th string, all the way until it repeats at 15th fret 5th string.