• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What other Pedals are like a KLON?

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
If you want to hear samples, search on YouTube -- That Pedal Show has done a few segments on Klons and Klon clones over the years.

Last edited:

sonar

Nice resurrection of a 15 year old thread....
I wonder if the OP now wishes he'd splurged on a Klon back then, considering what they're going for now that would be a heck on an investment.
I had a chance to but a couple around 99 - 2000 or so, when they were still $250. Was a lot for a distortion box at the time. I tried a friend's, but it didn't give me the heavy distortion I thought I wanted. Kinda wish I'd played with it more, and experimented with the pedals I had with it.
Not to mention if I knew then what I know now, and not just what they go for now; my whole style of playing has changed over the years and I think something like that would fit in nicely.

I also had a chance to buy one around 2001 or so for $300. Ended up going used with a special run Zvex SHO for a clean boost... the SHO is fine, but would like to have that decision back.

The Archer or Soul Food are pretty good alternatives, but I've yet to play a better clean boost for Fender amps than the original Klon. Imo not worth 2K, but in hindsight definitely worth the $300 I was too cheap to go for back in the day.

sreynolds

For what it's worth I've tried all usual suspects above and like the Ceriatone Centura the best. Great pedal for pushing a pushed Marshall circuit.

Triburst

I've built several "clone" Klon Centaurs, both for myself and friends.

But a couple of years ago, that changed with the introduction of the ElectroHarmonix "Soul Food" pedal. I can't build one as reliable as this for the money. Look inside and it's all there -- the Dual Gang "Gain" pot, the 3 IC's, the "charge pump," the "Klon" buffer, etc. It's just miniaturized -- which on my pedalboard is a good thing.

At a time that Klons were going for ridiculously high prices, EHX built a box using surface-mount technology that is essentially a mass-produced Klon clone. The difference was that rather than use the Germanium "clipping" diodes of the Klon, they chose to use silicon diodes in the process. Unmodified Soul Food's can be found for less than $80.

But JHS pedals (who built an amazingly exact piece-for-piece Klon clone at one time -- now THEY go for big bucks on Ebay) started doing a modification to Soul Food's that is (in my opinion) better than the original. It's the "Meat Plus Three Mod" and they're available through plenty of retailers (and Amazon Prime) for about $135.

The "Plus 3" part of the mod is where they added Germanium diodes (like the original Klons) and put a toggle switch on the side to allow silicon, open (no clipping diodes), or Germainium diode signal clipping.

The "Meat" part of the mod is an added knob on the side of the unit that allows you to tailor the fullness of the signal. I keep mine at about 3/4 and at that point, with the Germainium diodes, I've A/B'd with a Silver Original Klon, and can't hear a difference.

In addition to all that, not much has been said about the Klon Buffer that the original Klons were famous for. Not only does the Soul Food have it, but you can open the box (4 Phillips-head screws) and there's a slide switch labelled "Buffer" that allows you to choose whether or not to use it in your circuit. Some pedals (especially old Tone Bender fuzz pedals) don't like buffered signal (so you put them first in the chain, and can't take advantage of the boost if you're using your pedal for that -- and that is BY FAR the best use for it. This allows a few more options.

I use mine as a boost in front of my distortion and crunch boxes (I have a "Brown Sound In A Box 2" first, and a box switchable between Keeley style Modded Tube Screamer 808 and Langraff Overdrive), and it does a GREAT job with my tone. Plus, it is a nice boost to my signal chain.

Here's a video of a Silver Klon and a JHS modded Soul Food:

(I recently edited this to clarify some terms. Also, I am not affilliated with EHX, JHS, or Amazon :hank )

Last edited:

Dave P

For what it's worth I've tried all usual suspects above and like the Ceriatone Centura the best. Great pedal for pushing a pushed Marshall circuit.

Other than the pots, the Centura is identical. Same NOS parts as a Klon. Nik did a great job, I got on the waiting list pretty early on and have a very early one. Does everything my old Klon did.

duaneflowers

I also have a ton of klones but none of sound and perform exactly like the klon... the closest to my ears is the Centura. If I had to get rid of my klon and only choose one that would be it.