• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Soldano Amp Problem

JoeP

Hey DaveP, or NOCD, My SLO developed a bad hum all of a sudden last night at a gig. It had something to do with the Send/Return jack in the loop. I cleaned it, and could push a 1/4 jack in and out in it a few times, and it would stop, only to come back with that loud **HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMM*.
I just switched over on my amps and finished the night, but for some reason it has something to do with the s/r jack? Any ideas? DaveP, you ever experienced that with your SLO? Thanks...
JoeP

Ed Rafalko

Les Paul Forum Member
Hey, Joe, sorry to hear you've got problems with that amp. SOlano has a lifetime transferable warrantee, you know.;)
Hey, did Rhonda and you ever get down to Dallas?

Dave Paetow

Les Paul Forum Member
Joe,
I've never had that problem with my SLO. Maybe a wire came loose on the jack or something? Bad cord or fx unit? Maybe Jeff Stapleton can help, he's built some clones from scratch. At least it's covered under warranty, so it will only cost you shipping to get it fixed.

JoeP

Thanks Dave for the info. I haven't ever had a problem until now with this amp. It seems like somewhere I read that the ground loop or something comes up to the send jack, but I'm not sure if it was on the SLO or not. Really weird.. I sprayed it with de-oxit and pushed the jack in and out a few times, and it cleared right up and played fine for 10 minutes or so, then it started right back... Didn't matter disconnecting the effects from the loop either,,, still did it.. Will let you know what I do find out. I'll call Bill tomorrow at Soldano..

Joe

NewOldCokeDave

Hi Joe..

I'm not as well versed as the others with Soldanos, but something stands out to me.. Is this a switching type jack??
Sometimes the jacks get dirty or get bent away from the grounding leaf in the jack.. a quick fix is either replace the jack, or if it's a standard switchcraft type, the contacts between the tip and the grounding leaf can be cleaned and then carefully bend the tip AND the grounding leaf away from the center of the jack to the side.. push back on the tip contact towards the center of the jack and it should restore the tension to the grounding strip and the tip leaf.. If it's a Marshall type then I'd just replace it.. you can get them from Hoffman Amps or Mojotone or other amp parts places.. If it's a switchcraft type the type number is 12A if I remember correctly..

Hope this helps!!

-NOCD

Tim C.

Hey Joe,

NOCD is right on with his assessment of the switching jack contacts on the effects return. An easy way to tell if the jack is bad is to insert a guitar cable between both jacks. If the hum disappears then the jack should be replaced.

There are several companies using a cheaper Mexican made Switchcraft jack copy. Fender uses the cheap jack in its expensive Vibroking amp. I have replaced several of them. The spring ground contact lifts from ground creating the hum that you hear.

If you do replace the jack please try to get a switchcraft brand jack.

Let us know.

Best Wishes,
Tim C.

JoeP

Thanks guys for all the info. Will get a good jack. It seems like that may be exactly what happens with the ground.. When I plug it between the send and return, it goes away.. I really can't complain,,, this one is a 93, been gigged a ton, and this is the FIRST thing that has happened outside of tube changes..

EdR, Rhonda has to go to some school in Memphis for a couple weeks, then they are supposed to schedule it for the 8 weeks in Dallas.. We will definately be in Arlington for the show....

Joe

Ed Rafalko

Les Paul Forum Member
Now there's TWO reasons to celebrate: Joe found out what the amp's problem was AND he and rhonda will be at Arlington!

M

Mojojojo

Interesting...

I'm almost done with my latest SLO-based build and am wiring the effects loop. They run shielded cable to the send, picking up the ground from the main board and using the shield to provide ground to the return jack - different.

The jacks are definately Switchcraft. Make sure to get the shorting type.

SPO

Hello Jeff and the group!

>I'm almost done with my latest SLO-based build and am wiring the effects loop. They run shielded cable to the send, picking up the ground from the main board and using the shield to provide ground to the return jack - different.

Jeff is a bit ahead of me on this build but I am about as familiar with the real SLO as he is. The jacks are insulated from the chassis and do pickup the ground from the shield coming off of the main board. They are also supposed to be insulated from the chassis and if by some reason the plug body has made contact, a ground loop may be formed causing intermittent hum.

BTW, my version will be the industry standard high gain preamp into a Plexi style power section - a Super Plexi Overdrive if you will :).

..Joe L