• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

anybody hear of Jamie Aebersold?

S

stxrus

supposedly he has a series on music theory that is very straight forward and easy to understand. looking for info.

steve

Improviser

Highly recommended

Steve, try here

http://www.jajazz.com

My teacher put me onto these and I have found them very useful. Most play-alongs are straight-ahead jazz or carry a jazz flavour, but I found that the rhythm sections on these were much better than any other I have found. Particularly useful are the blues-labelled ones which are in all keys.

Best of luck

Geoff

S

stxrus

Improviser,
thanks for the link. i got a bit lost with all of the wealth of info there. any titles of books regarding theory? i've forgotten so much in the 32 years since i took formal lessons i need a good refresher.

thanks
steve

Improviser

Sorry, I haven't looked into the straight theory books from JA, though I've been told that anything written by David Baker should be very good.

dragon

Order the free catalog he has, its easier to bookmark the ones you may want to try. Volume one of his cd's covers alot of ground on basic theory and scales, the backing tracks are jazz not rock or blues tho. Also Johnnytones thread "great site for scales " is pretty good.

Last edited:
S

stxrus

thanks for the replies. i would like to find something to help me remember the theory lessons of a long ago youth:)spin
jazz ain't bad. wouldn't mind playing like Pass or Montgomery, myownbadself

steve

jazzyfinger04

If I may cut in here, I think his books are awesome. I primarilly play jazz piano, and picked up the guitar a few years back...The stuff he does is easily transferrable from piano to guitar, and also, there is a nice learning curve for the players at different levels. If I may suggest a song book... Maiden Voyage. It has stuff in original keys, in Bb for clarinets, and in Eb. Good luck.

dragon

I've got the Maiden Voyage cd but the charts/book has been lost.
If anyone has one and can copy it let me know.
Thanks