• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Blues Scale - It's All Starting To Make Sense Now. Finally!

steelknuckle

Well, I've practiced that damn blues scale until I can play it any way you want, and I never knew why. Apparantly, all of these freaking guitar tabs that I own are just a bunch of crap. I've got an official Led Zep II guitar tab book that shows "Heart Breaker" with some really screwed up jumping back and forth and up and down riffs in it. Every time I tried to play it, it just pissed me off.

Tonight Rock and Roller and I had a little jam session here in Moscow. I pulled out my book, and he just laughed. He says, "That's just a blues Scale." I said, "What! no way." So then I played a blues scale in that rhythm pattern. WTF! Who writes these freaking tabs? Total idiots?

So, I went from not even being able to attempt that song to easily playing it in 5 minutes. I'm going to have to try and fit every rock song riff into a blues scale or pentatonic scale and forget these freaking tabs!

burst59

Yea Paul, you gotta love the tab books.:pisd :q :wap Some times they get it right,don't they:mad :hrmph

Weldaar

Les Paul Forum Member
Scales VS Feeling

Scales are very good to know you'll get no argument from on that. However, if you don't know how to fit them in a song, it can be frustrating. I just play whatever I feel fits. I have been playing for 38 plus years. I think I have forgotton all of the scales I learned in the 60's LOL Unless they are just imbedded somewhere in the back of my head ;)

Last edited: