• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"cleaning" the face

bigmike

Players,
A couple of weeks ago, I polished up (first time) my 2002 ebony LPC. Damn she's a beauty. But, she's gigged like 6 times since then and the sweat and finger marks have dirtied her face up. I tried to rub/buff her down with a dry polishing cloth, but that just spread the grime around her top and now I have this dull, swirly, film all over. Is there a way I can clean her up to the mirror like finish without applying another round of polish? Or, is it OK to hit her with polish anytime i feel like it without a nasty buildup? I'm using the gibson pump-polish. Help please . . . we've got a rep or 2 coming out to the next gig (in 3 days) and I want her to look her best. Thanks All!

~BM

Sunburst79

Just use polish this Time.

You dont need to use polish every time, but you should wipe down the "Spuzz"

Its when you really have to scrub it to clean it up up you get the Swirl marks in the finish.

I use the gibson areosol polish often with no build up problems.

Dont ride it hard and put it away wet.

S

Snags

The Gibson pump polish is so gentle that I consider it more of a cleaner than a polish. I used it to clean all of the guitars in my store every other day or so, and never had any problems from using it that often.

kannibul

bigmike said:
Players,
A couple of weeks ago, I polished up (first time) my 2002 ebony LPC. Damn she's a beauty. But, she's gigged like 6 times since then and the sweat and finger marks have dirtied her face up. I tried to rub/buff her down with a dry polishing cloth, but that just spread the grime around her top and now I have this dull, swirly, film all over. Is there a way I can clean her up to the mirror like finish without applying another round of polish? Or, is it OK to hit her with polish anytime i feel like it without a nasty buildup? I'm using the gibson pump-polish. Help please . . . we've got a rep or 2 coming out to the next gig (in 3 days) and I want her to look her best. Thanks All!

~BM

I use Gibson pump polish as well, and I clean it about every month.

Losie

Try some moist breath.. ie, breathing on the guitar like you would on a window when it's cold out :D

Never met grime that wouldn't come off with a dry rag, moist breat (maybe even a tiny bit of saliva on the rag) and a bit of work... Make sure you use a clean part of the rag.. A dirty rag could scratch the finish, or not pick up dirt.

Bluespower

Les Paul Forum Member
I have some old Martin cleaner / polish, leaves no residue.
Dunlop makes a good one too. "

Or a damp, not wet, clean, soft, flannel cloth

bigmike

Yep . . . Losie nailed it. Hooked her up with a new set of strings, some moist breath, and the clean side of the cloth. WATCH OUT NOW!!! I'm going to blind someone tonight with all the lights shinin' off the finish!! Thanks for all the info, players!!