The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Can somebody ID these speakers?

Hi all.
    These speakers are from a 1965-67 Ampeg Portaflex.
    Its a Jensen but I cant find any more information on the exact model name/number, wattage rating, ceramic or alnico ect:
    Anybody here good with ID'ing speakers.
    Thanks.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar
    Bob,
    Check out this site....

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

I have 15 inch speaker from 57 that looks very close to yours. Mine has a screw through the middle of cover, too. When I removed it I saw it was a ceramic magnet. But for any more info, I couldn't tell you. The other numbers EM1202 C8319, I have no clue what they mean. Mine says EM1500 C77343. I believe your speaker is a 56 or 66. I you find anymore info, let me know.

Les Paul Forum Member RocknTommy's Avatar
    There are a few knowledgable Ampeg Heads on this site
    http://www.slyrose.com/usedampegs.html

They might be able to help ya out.:2cents

Les Paul Forum Member RocknTommy's Avatar
    Oh yea...you want to go to the discussion board there with those pics of the speakers.

Originally posted by CDaughtry
    Bob,
    Check out this site....

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html
    Thanks Charlie, that only gets me the production date.
    I guess it could be called "Concert series" which is what it says on the bell but I havent heard a hell of alot about them compared to the C12n or P12n. It just seems like there should be more info out there on these speakers.

I will check out the other boards that were posted.
    Thanks guys!

As I recall, Jensen speakers came in 3 lines, Standard, concert and I can't remember the top of the line designation. Different applications get different numbers, so the guitar speakers are pretty straight forward but beyond that it gets pretty murky. They built speakers for organs, stereos, loudspeakers etc. I'm a bit sceptical that those are the original speakers for that amp, it should have guitar type speakers. What can we guess at. Well, the 1202 suggests a 12" speaker, the C says ceramic. EM probably indicates the application, and the M might represent the wattage rating (M being a bit higher power than the more traditional C12N). So, guessing a 25-30w speaker, possibly with a larger or smaller frequency response than a guitar speaker. I have a set of ceramic Concert speakers from the 50s with whizzer cones (from a juke box) that actually sound pretty good with low power guitar amps... Good luck with your search... Bob

Thanks Doc, That was a very good description.

One thing that I'm almost positive of is that they are the original speakers for the amp. 1967 Ampeg Portaflex 50W.
    They are actually very bright sounding. The magnets (under the bells) are very small compared to say a G12M style speaker.

I'll keep digging.
    Thanks

Re: Can somebody ID these speakers?

So, I found this thread very useful and I wanted to add something at this late date. Here is a scan of a page of a Jensen brochure which gives the ratings and applications of the mid-60's models. I have a EM1500 and this diagram cleared up all my questions. I hope this is helpful to others. I have read that the organ speaker have a smoother response (less attack) and lower resonance.

JensenSpeakerSpecs.jpg