• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fading a Classic...

Butch Snyder

Les Paul Forum Member
I was just curious about what the results would be if I sat my wine red Classic out in the sun for a day. I realize that over-exposure to the sun can loosen glue joints. I just want to know what the result of the color change would be.

Thanks,
Butch

Ed Rafalko

Les Paul Forum Member
A single day of exposure wouldn't change the color of a Classic much. It might cloud the clearcoat, but there wouldn't be much color change. The plasticizers in the vcinyl-modified lacquer they use on those has a UV screening agent in it, so you'll have to get through that first.

Ed Rafalko

Les Paul Forum Member
I'd leave it as it is, but if you aren't happy with it, go ahead and set it in the sun for a few hours a day until you see a change. Remember that fading is a chemical process that only requires exposure to UV light to START it, and once the process is far enough along it continues on its own, even in total darkness.

Ed Rafalko

Les Paul Forum Member
I really don;t knoiw, but I suspect it won't be the nice vintage brown that's on the old ones. It might just be a lighter version of wine red, it might go black- fading doesn't neccesarily mean that it'll get lighter, just that the pigment changes, though USUALLY it's lighter.

Butch Snyder

Les Paul Forum Member
Thanks Ed. I was just curious. I like the color just the way it is. And I would be very afraid of getting a color that I didn't like.

Thanks again,
Butch

BCR/Greg

Les Paul Forum Member and Host of Guitar Shop
We had one come in the store that a customer tried to fade. The guitar ended up a peach sort of baby vomit color after sitting in the sun for several days.

It's getting a refin and the owner a good strapping.

sparkletop

after strapping

Tell that guy about the value of "Hawaiian Tropic 45 plus sunblock":lol

Trans-Am

Fade Away !!!

I say leave it be and let time do its wonders. Its allready as close as you could probably get! unless your looking for an old beat up one in mint condition. otherwise:wail: