• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

questions for Big Al

josepc

Hello Big Al.
I'll be grateful if you can help me to identify these pickups in my '84 335 dot.The photos are the original pickups,and replaced pickups.Originals might be "Shaws",but neck p/u has nr 379 984,and bridge p/u not number. Also, as you can see, neck and bridge p/u, are not identical,for me. Can you help me please??

The replaced p/u's, are supposely '57 classic humbuckings reissue,according to the luthier that replaced them.I think that my luthier swindle me.
Thank you very much for your help
Jose(Spain)

Photos:
http://es.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/josepc64

Big Al

Sorry, I didn't see this as I was in Nashville with Kareoke Karl.

One of the originals looks to be a Shaw.
The other may be, or may be a T Top. Since the covers have been off before, I would look. If it has the PAF type coil tops and no T I'd say Shaw, with a T you know what it be.

That other pair are not Classic 57's, and I think that you were indeed hoodwinked.

josepc

look at the new photos

Big Al,
thank you for your answer.Please look at the new photos of original pickups and tell me if they are shaw or t -top.
What is the difference between shaw and t-top,tonally speaking?
What is the mean of serial 379984 ,stamped on the bottom of neck p/u,and why bridge p/u not stamped?
Thanks again
Best wishes
Josepc (Spain)

original pickups new photos:

http://es.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/josepc64

Sean

Goldie's Man in London
Wow, I saw your name and for a split second there I thought it said "Josepi" :bug

Big Al

Josepc,

The originals look very much like Shaw "Patent Applied For's".

They have the right coil forms, the white plastic spacers and long rough cast magnet.

They have a bump in the lower mids and growl more than T Tops. They have a very clear top end.

The 37 part of the stamped # is a neck pickup code. It should be 137. The one might have rubbed off.
I see 984 which would be a date. September 1984.

Sunburst79

A Shaw Question For Big Al,

Did all the Shaws have two plastic spacers or Did the later models use the Maple Spacer/pickup lead wire method? Like the 57 classics and latter dayGibson pickups.

I'm trying to Sort it out what it is, It might Be a Shaw But I'm not sure.

Last edited: