• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Are t- tops and shaws the same?

marshall1987

I've heard reports that Shaw replica "PAFs", common in the early 1980s electric line, were "hobbled" or choked by Gibson's use of 300 K-ohm potentiometers.

Replacing the original 300 K-ohm pots with correct value 500 K-ohm pots, often results in substantial tone improvements. :jim

El Gringo

I've heard reports that Shaw replica "PAFs", common in the early 1980s electric line, were "hobbled" or choked by Gibson's use of 300 K-ohm potentiometers.

Replacing the original 300 K-ohm pots with correct value 500 K-ohm pots, often results in substantial tone improvements. :jim

So true , one thing that happens when you swap out to 500K pots is how much brighter the tone becomes and thusly so much more flexibility with the guitar's tone controls . I found this out when I switched from 300K pots in a Les Paul to the 500K pots which the pickups were Gibson 57 Classics and Classic Plus and wow it was like a whole new guitar . Radical improvement !

rob livesey

I have pat# T-tops in both my 335’s from ‘69 and ‘70. I certainly like them in 335’s.

Just out of curiosity, are they all double blacks?

Rob

corpse

Mine are. I have never seen white bobbins until the Shaw’s came along.

cherryburst96

T-tops are what the Gibson humbucker turned into after the PAF/Patent Number humbuckers. Noted for their A5 magnets, they have their fans, Angus Young among them. Shaws were Gibsons first attempt at a PAF reissue, designed by Tim Shaw with approval by Norlin at the time. A2 magnets and poly winding (Norlin said no to Plain Enamel due to cost cutting). Shaws are considered great pickups and are desirable.

Sol

I removed the short magnet from my early pat# t top out of curiosity. It's about the strongest magnet I've ever come across..I've bought replacement magnets of all types, and pulled others to swap and experiment with, and I'm genuinely surprised that this 50 Yr old pickup has retained such strength in its magnet.

The guitar this t top lived in has clearly done the rounds of many club dates, no gold plating above the pickup surrounds remains, I'd expect such a pickup to have a rather weaker magnetic strength than that which I found.
This is really interesting, what do you guys think?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass