• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Historic 54 Black Beauty REISSUE

Sluggo47

My personal opinion is that the 57 BB Reissue is the best sounding guitar that I've ever played. Any body "out thare" have a 54 BB and how does it compare in regard to neck shape & tone?

NewOldCokeDave

I have a 54. I can't compare as I haven't checked out the '57, but the neck on mine is nice and big and it really sings with the P90s..

I like mine a lot!!

-NOCD

Crazy Carl

Banned
'54 RI

I've got a '57 RI BB (in vintage cherry) & it is schweet. However, I've recently been turned on to P90's & now I'm jonezin for a '54 as well. Sigh.... Champagne GAS on a beer budget blows goats.

Ken

I've got a '54 RI BB with bigsby and really dig it. It's a '98 and when I tried a new '57 BB the other day unplugged, I thought the '57 had a noticeably fatter neck like the '01 R7/8/9. The neck on mine is not too thin and is incredibly easy to bend and comfortable to play in spite of the small frets. Mine may not have the long tenon either, but I've compared it to newer ones and I can't tell the difference. I've owned a h/b custom before and I can't say that the tone compares much at all. The alnico V really has a woody woman tone of its own and there is nothing that compares to a P90 in the bridge.

I gush about the '54 Custom RI whenever I get the chance ;). Don't know or care why they aren't more popular. I think they are great. The one drawback for some is that can be kinda on the heavy side, but no more than a h/b Custom, I think. You gotta' try it for yourself.

Sluggo47

I've got a 57 BB RI and to tell the truth its the best sounding guitar that I've played in 30 yrs. I wondered if having a 54 BB would be too close or if a gold top 54 would be better. Since I like the all mahogany sound, I thought that the 54 might be the way to go!

Zhangliqun

I've played both and like both very much. Was particularly impressed with the 54's "Alnico" neck pu. Fat, sweet and crystal clear...