• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Super Lead, super broke, super happy

jgyn

I bought a '72 or '73 Marshall 'Super Lead 100 Watts'. It's pre master volume model (actually, there's one in the back, but it's that 'post inverter' kind that's non invasive and reversible), and it has a polarity switch, point to point wiring, and the serial #'s like S/A1932 or something.  I was gonna buy a jcm 800 2203 with 6550s for $500, but I as soon as I played through this guy (at 2x the price), I knew I wouldn't be happy with anything else.  So the store knocked off 20%, and now it sits atop my silverface twin. My Les Paul and Strat sound awesome, even in my studio apartment.  I can't wait to afford a cabinet!

DOSE!

Don't torment yourself that way. You can keep it at my house till you get that cabinet. Outa site outa mind!:dude

Marshallhead

the mighty super lead

aint it something-all this technology and nobody can come close that old,too loud marshall thang-enjoy jgyn and welcome to the home for the hearing impaired!!!

R

RICH

There should be a letter after the serial number, that will tell you the year.

jgyn

My serial #'s 'S/A 195? E'. This makes it a '73, so I'm actually uncertain if it's pre or post pc board.

R

RICH

It should no doubt be a hand wired model, I have a pair of 73s and they both are. I don't ever remember seeing a 73 that wasn't.

jgyn

Cool school. I was just wondering 'cuz someone on Harmony Central said that Marshall switched in mid 1973. I haven't taken the back off yet. Anyway, I was startled by how much I liked the sound so I'm glad I got it!
thanx,
-jan

R

RICH

From what I understood it was possible to find VERY early 74s with hand wired boards, so I don't know about that mid 73 thing. You never know, I could be wrong, but I never saw a PCB 73. I wish I knew exactly what master it has.

Last edited:

Marshallhead

50 watter

no my 50w is pcb-my friend has a late 73 100watter which is ptp and i also have a 74 sl that is pcb-i guess what my short term memory was trying to say is- i've never seen a 73 pcb 50 or 100 all have been ptp-dude while we're on the steelface subject-give me a heads up on the preamp circuit starting in 72-my 74s are very very nasty full up-the 69 and 71 are not-any info?? the distortion is much more aggressive on the 74's than the others-also they are raging at like 2!:kong-f*** i love these emoticon things!!!

jgyn

Last night I pulled the innards from the chassis. It's point to point. Man was that thing heavy and awkward to hold!

Marshallhead

chassis hernia

hey jgyn-i dont know if this helps but i usually put the amp on its side trannies down and take out the chassis that way-just hold the tranny and it should be much easier to handle-yeah the are heavy-pick up a reissue and youll laugh-theyre not nearly as heavy-probably those cheap ass coroporate components

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Dating?

So what letter goes with what year in the dating game for Marshalls?

CDaughtry

Dating

I have a Red Cabinet 100w with D in its serial number. That makes it a 72 right?
I was A/Bing it with my 68 Plexi and I know this is sacreligious, but I like the sound of the 72 better. The gain's nastier....

Sean

Goldie's Man in London
And yes, the "D" makes it a '72.

If you don't like it, can I have it? :)

CDaughtry

Marshall

I don't know if it was a clip of the key, or wishful thinking, but my red 72 is a 50watt. It still kicks the Plexi...(don't get me wrong...I still love the plexi, its just the 72 roars).