• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What is your benchmark tone?

Duncan

greentone said:
man, the music was never the same after the rockers came along. Why don't you go learn about music instead of spending every waking moment on this forum?

I'm not sure personal attacks are going to help here. If that is your opinion, fine, but I'd suggest not personally denigrating other forum members with comments such as this that are unwarrented. It doesn't help matters. However...

....I should add that historically the blues was a music born out of depression and hoplessness (i.e initially slavery in the 19th century), and that you have to live the blues in order to be able to play it. And I can't see anyone who is surfing the internet having cyber conversations with a few thousands of dollars worth of guitars, amps etc around them is really 'livin' the blues', can you? :hmm

Duncan

Opps!!! I just realised how old this thread was. I feel a bit of a dick now...

...and all the obvious replies to this are duly noted!!! ;)

prekazi

I don't even understand the question. Did you mean what ac/dc album was the best angus tone? I could understand that question, but you should have been more specific in your post. For a moment I though you were trying to ask what was the ultimate guitar tone without specifically refering to angus as the ultimate benchmark, which kinda confused me seriously. :)spin ;) :)spin :lolspin :)spin

Seriously though, I love everything ac/dc soundwise up to highway to hell. HTH is their best album no doubt, but not the best sound. I measure everything else against the old ac/dc stuff, that's the epitome of rock tone for me (Page is cool too, except he chose the wrong guitar ;) (I know SG Dick will agree with me on this one :dude ))

Um, what I was trying to say? (6 pack of heineken and headphones on my ears kind of distract me)... oh yeah, Angus and Malcolm are the sound of rock, so to me, if you want to play some, you better sound like that 8))

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
Duncan said:
Opps!!! I just realised how old this thread was. I feel a bit of a dick now...

...and all the obvious replies to this are duly noted!!! ;)

No your comments are still well in line, I just wanted to point out what a troll that this greentone character is, and how he forces his opinions of "real blues" down your throat. I'm sure he lives in a real stylish home, and works as an investment banker or something, and on the weekends he breaks out his fedora, Tweed amp, and beat to hell strat, and plays "real blues from the heart".

Dr Rico

60pinstripe said:
Lue Reeds "Live". Check out Sweet Jane.

The duo of Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter on that album forged some of my all time favorite rock guitar tones. Ever. LP juniors through Marshalls and Hiwats. A little phaser to taste now and then. Steve Hunter also slays me with his solo on the song "Waiting for the big one" from Peter Gabriel's first solo LP. I whistle that one note for note every bloody day. Just great. And I'm not a blues a fiend even...but Hunter is an under-recognized blues rock master. I'd be suprised if he can make rent these days.

>sigh<

Their work with Alice Cooper was pretty hip, too. As was their (uncredited) appearance in the studio with Aerosmith back in the hazy 70s ("Train kept a rollin' ").

Smoke if you get 'em. :smokin

Last edited:

Matt3

Do you have "be livin' the blues" to play them or do have to "have lived the blues at some time" in order to play them? If it's the former, then some of the great blues guys wouldn't be able to still play 'real' blues after some point in their lives because they weren't still livin' the blues. And maybe that's very well the case, I don't know.

Shameless Plug: There's a guy named Joe Bonamassa that can play some pretty good blues, but he rocks out too. The guy is a great player and since he will throw in some more "technically difficult" licks here and there, blues purists may not like that. IMO, just about everything evolves, including the blues.

Oh yea, benchmark tone; Duane, early Billy G., or early EVH, pick 'em!

Matt

pablomago

I tell this story too much around here, but it is my benchmark tone. I was in a country-rock band around 1971. We were playing a street dance and the only thing miced was the vocals. I was playing my '68 Les Paul Gold Top with P-90's through a sf Super Reverb turned up to about "7." I got the most amazing fat sustaining tone. Totally wrong for the music I was playing, but totally right for righteous lead guitar tone. Thinking about that sound about ten years ago inspired me to find another Les Paul to replace the one I foolishly traded away back then.

As far as other guitarist go, Eric Clapton with Cream at Winterland in 1968. Michael Bloomfield with the Electric Flag in '67. Jimmy Page in '69 with his "new band." Jerry Garcia with an SG around the same time. I think of live tones as benchmarks as recordings don't capture it all or are electronicly manipulated.

sgtJoe

Clapton-Bluesbreakers and Live Cream

Leslie West

Alvin Lee-Live stuff

Mick Taylor-Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

ZZ Top's First Album

ULTIMATE TONE however, is Ted Nugent on Full Bluntal Nugity

Johnny Winter: Leland Mississippi Blues
SRV: Taxman
Billy Gibbons: LaGrange & My Head's in Mississippi

Pure acoustic tone: Christopher Parkening playing Bach