• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Seymour Duncan JB Bridge w/ 500k pots...

Dana

Seymour Duncan JB Bridge w/ 500k pots...

Well I have a Seymour Duncan '59 neck and a JB bridge laying around and was considering dropping them in my Alpine Orville LP Custom.

I opened her up and chuckled when i saw 500k pots no bigger than a dime's diameter (mini pots maybe? well obviously non-stock pots and a real shitty soldering job as well).

Anyways, i read in other posts about JB's being made for 250K pots but I wondered if there is anyone who has a preference with JB's and 500k pots.

I need to order some new pots anyways and thought I'd ask for some opinions.

BTW, where is the best online store to get some CTS pots? Allparts? Anyone have the part ## offhand?

Thanks a bunch,
Dana

Last edited:

bjh65

Les Paul Froum Member
I found a shitload of cts 's at a Shimamura Music store here in Saitama for 1200 yen each.

Dana

I think I saw them on Allparts for $5 each.

I try to order as much as I can online (seems to be the better price online), but if I need a couple screws or something small, i'll take a ride over to Shimamura. I was looking at some Seymour Duncan pickups and they were averaging about $110 each (yikes!).

Dana

GlassSnuff

This question comes up a lot on the Duncan board, and it seems an even split as to pot preferences. FWIW, the JB was wound for a 250K pot in a Tele, so I suppose 250K is "right". Thing is, with 500K pots, you just turn the tone control down a bit, and there you are. Same load on the highs, same sound. And, if later you decide to swap pups, you're all set.

HTH.

Dana

Thanks for the opinions guys. I did put them in with the mini 500k pots and they sound pretty decent. Gettin kinda late now so I'll try them out tomorrow.

Not a fan of the 4 wire JB's. I've seen floss with a thicker guage than that.

I did get some tasty tones with both the '59 and JB. :wow

Thanks again,

Dana

RickN

Funny comments about the pots in your Orville - I have an Orville '59 Junior with the same stuff in it! As soon as I find a good P90 for that guitar, those pots are coming out!!!!!

Regarding the JB, I've been using them almost exclusively in the bridge position of my hummer-equipped guitars since the middle/late '80s. 500k all the way!

Don't let the wire size on the four-conductor wiring fool you... the signal coming from these pickups is tiny... that wire is plenty big enough.

Lewguitar

Banned
250K pots for a JB? Where'd that info come from?

I put a JB trembucker in a Strat with 250K pots and it sounded dull and lifeless until I switched them all to 500K.

papersoul

Re: 250K pots for a JB? Where'd that info come from?

Lewguitar said:
I put a JB trembucker in a Strat with 250K pots and it sounded dull and lifeless until I switched them all to 500K.

Interesting Lew! I know all of my guitars have had 500k pots also......till I got the LP standard.