• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

PAF's

"Old Top"

New member here, this topic has probably been beat to death many times but I'd like a poll on who is best to send some PAF's to be re-magnetised and/or evaluated. My bridge PAF has lost some of its punch over the last several years. It measures 8.10k.
When I hold metal to the pole pieces, it has a very noticeable loss of magnetism compared to my other PU's. I was told heat from the soldering iron to remove the covers reduces magnetism...I have always been very carefull about this, but this still could have happened. The last 10 years the cover has been off of the PU so I do not see this applying.
Also, the pole pieces are very corroded, ie, not a bit of nickel showing. How much loss from this?
Seymour Duncan has not even answered my phone calls, so at the moment, not going there.....strange since I am a SD dealer, gonna let my rep know about this.
Comments? Votes on who is best to do this? Horror stories?

G

GuitarsfromMars

"Old Top" said:
New member here, this topic has probably been beat to death many times but I'd like a poll on who is best to send some PAF's to be re-magnetised and/or evaluated. My bridge PAF has lost some of its punch over the last several years. It measures 8.10k.
When I hold metal to the pole pieces, it has a very noticeable loss of magnetism compared to my other PU's. I was told heat from the soldering iron to remove the covers reduces magnetism...I have always been very carefull about this, but this still could have happened. The last 10 years the cover has been off of the PU so I do not see this applying.
Also, the pole pieces are very corroded, ie, not a bit of nickel showing. How much loss from this?
Seymour Duncan has not even answered my phone calls, so at the moment, not going there.....strange since I am a SD dealer, gonna let my rep know about this.
Comments? Votes on who is best to do this? Horror stories?

I think I might just leave those pickups alone :eek

Rev.WillieVK

If... if... IF you decide to get the magnets re-charged, Jim Rolphs is the man. A lot of pup makers get their magnets from him. Great guy. See the Links section off of the Home page.

plaintop

Just get new magnets for Peter Florance. Put the old magnet in a box for if and when you sell.

Rev.WillieVK

I believe Peter gets his magnets from Jim....

Swap or re-magnetize, it's about the same. Maybe get a magnet from Peter for the short term and get the original re-magnetized by Jim later.

Wiggy

All Access/Backstage Pass
Re: Re: PAF's

GuitarsfromMars said:
I think I might just leave those pickups alone :eek
Yes..................LEAVE THEM ALONE
If you re-wind them you may as well stick duncans in there and box away the PAF's

G

GuitarsfromMars

Re: Re: Re: PAF's

Wiggy said:
Yes..................LEAVE THEM ALONE
If you re-wind them you may as well stick duncans in there and box away the PAF's

Thank You Jesus......:lol2