• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I Need a Wiring Diagram...

Butch Snyder

Les Paul Forum Member
Hi guys,

I need a wiring diagram for my LP. I'm wanting to split both pickups as well as put in a phase switch.

I'm using a set of SD 4-conductor 59's.

Thanks, :plane

Butch

Davepaf

Davius J. Pufficus
You should have gotten diagrams with the pickups. I think you can get them at the SD website.

Butch Snyder

Les Paul Forum Member
DavePAF, You're right. I forgot that SD includes wiring diagrams with all his pickups.

Thanks,
Butch

Butch Snyder

Les Paul Forum Member
Yeah, I went there yesterday. I think I'm going to find the boxes that came with my Duncans and use them.

Thanks,
Butch

Zhangliqun

One little tip that may save you some hassle and heartache, though. And this will work only if you don't intend to use one pu single-coil together with the other in two-coil (humbucking) mode.

You can use the same push/pull pot to switch both pickups to single coil and back if it's a DPDT (double-pole/double-throw). This means you'll only need two push/pulls: one for the single-coil mode and one for the phase switching.

The advantage of this is, depending on your LP model, you won't have to tear your hair out looking for a long-shaft push/pull pot, which are hard to find, because you can use the bridge volume and tone controls where the wood is thinner (down the slope a bit) and will take a regular-shaft push/pull.

But if you have to have all 3 functions separate, I understand Yamaha makes a long-shaft push/pull but I don't have a clue how to find it. Others here may have the 411 on that.

Another thing to experiment with is finding out WHICH coil of each pickup is still active in single coil mode as they will sound different due to sitting under a different harmonic node of the string. You may find you prefer the sound of the coil that the stock Duncan wiring diagram DOESN'T give you. It's a little tricky to figure out the different wiring but not in any way dangerous so if you're bored on a Saturday afternoon or something...