• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

buy it now?? 54 junior

DLX1

I don't know about 56's and 57's but the P90 in my '54 certainly isnt weak in the low end or E and A string. It has a reading of 6.5 or so on the meter but actually has more punch and volume than a new gibson P90(reads 7.5) i have in my other Junior.

root

resistance readings and sound

Gregg Levy from Hi-Test guitars in Norwood, NJ (look for adv. in Vint Guit p.23 usually) says (pricey but way nicey and trusty-you get what you pay for...) just because you have a reading of 8.something or higher doesn't mean a great "SOUND"! -="blistering?????"

yeah........... it's what we all refer to as HOT.......... but HOT (less e and a string) is not necessarily GOOD!!!!!!!!.

The lower to mid 7.5 ....something readings usually have a better balance of lead AND rhythm/chords-- overall/at the same time/song/one guitar.

Sure , people boast of "blistering 9.0 readings but blistering might mean single note screamers only.

Even Mr. West (who I've actually jammmed with in the early 80's-----a story unto itself) says that --Some are better for lead and some are better for rhythm.. very rarely do you get a "2" Trick Pony - unless you know how to F**k with the tone and volume pot. He only had ONE that could do both that he used on stage and he gave..... that ONE to Mr. Peter Twnsnd from The WHO...

Some single cuts kill other double cuts in certain amp situatuons - some double cuts kill others in other amp situations. Would you rather have a tele or a LPJR? GO TO... --NEW THREAD in "OTHER GIBSONS"

root

54 and 55 pup resistance

Guys,

To make a longggggggggggg story short--

The early LPJRS had stronger magnets and less windings and readings under 8.0- more dynamic --as far as highs and lows.

Weaker readings but MORE DYNAMIC..Get it????????? Higher readings --less dynamic ( less lows / more highs)

root according to Gregg Levy