NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

buy it now?? 54 junior

Les Paul Forum Member
    Pricey but NICE! I don't see how you could go wrong with such a clean piece.

Les Paul Forum Member

54 junior

Litcrit,
    The only thing that looks not so nice is the cracks in the finish by the bass side post.
    Kinda normal for the early ones from what I hear. ...not according to Big Al though.
    What killed me was the grainy mahogany back - I've never seen it like that. Have you?
    root

Les Paul Forum Member
    I've seen some like that, but that guitar is a really nice example IMHO. I don't tend to go after "museum pieces", I won't play out on guitars that are too clean, and I'm cheap. Budget beaters are my specialty, although from a long range financial perspective, its better to pay more for the clean ones.

That back is extraordinary!!

All Access/Backstage Pass BluesForDan's Avatar
    damn, the bar just got raised some more.
    Without coffee, I'd be useless.

Nice 54. Those cracks show up from abuse. I've seen them from blows to the bridge, attempts at removing studs, and most often from low humidity, where the finsh is cracked from wood shrinkage around the stud anchors. 99% of the time they are only finish cracks from the pickup rout to the stud hole.

What I found not to be comon, and what I replied to, was the reports of studs leaning forward. Most Jrs have low bridge heights and of the 30+ that I had, I never saw a forward leaning post. I haven't seen one on any clean, well maintained Singlecut Jr, unlike the reports of this being comon on early Jrs, it is not the case, from my experience.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member
    My '54 singlecut had the leaning posts. Its now corrected thanks to Dan .

Posts on my 55 have a bit of a list.
    I followed Dan's repair thread quite closely. If I wasn't so darn poor I would consider correcting them.

For now I can live with them as is.

Regards,

Brian
    The RiverCity Guitar
    *High End Backline Rental*

HEY DLX1 is the post about correcting the lean old? what was the general gist?
    thanks

Les Paul Forum Member

I think this is all of them

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...threadid=32226

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...threadid=33684

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...threadid=34005

The guitar now plays better but still not like a '57 Junior.I have to come up with a lower profile bridge for that. I'm going to try and have a metal shop grind one down for me sometime soon.

THANKS!!!!!!

Re: I think this is all of them

Originally posted by DLX1
    http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...threadid=32226

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...threadid=33684

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...threadid=34005

The guitar now plays better but still not like a '57 Junior.I have to come up with a lower profile bridge for that. I'm going to try and have a metal shop grind one down for me sometime soon.
    I hear that!!! Something mystical must have happened in 57. I swear the best ones I had were all made that year! The P90's seem hotter too.
    The older I get, the better I was.

All Access/Backstage Pass BluesForDan's Avatar
    Big Al - do you still have any of your Jrs? Got pics?
    Without coffee, I'd be useless.

Les Paul Forum Member
    The JR Guru is Greg Levy of Hi-Test guitars. He's fun to talk to and what he knows about jrs is scary.

Les Paul Forum Member

5% lean - factory

Greg Levy says that there was a 5% lean built in/originating from the factory.

Les Paul Forum Member

1st hand gregg levy pick-up knowledge

To All LP JR enthusiasts,

Gregg Levy - Hi-Test guitars of Norwood NJ - has introduced/educated/inspired me to the delicate nuances of pick up configuratiion/shipment totals/serial #'s/ specification changes/alterations, since I have put my money where my mouth is, as far as, buying an original 55 jr. and not just "prying" about his VAST HANDS ON knowledge of any year issued Les Paul Juniors Jr. since day one of its inception

The guy deserves the utmost respect of time and energy when it comes to his many personal, reliable, hands-on, data base....... and his willfull and enthusiastic answers to questions (when he has the precious time to talk/discuss/debate) regarding issues concerning this primitive GIANT of the 1st generation electric guitar.

root

Re: Re: I think this is all of them

Originally posted by Big Al
    I hear that!!! Something mystical must have happened in 57. I swear the best ones I had were all made that year! The P90's seem hotter too.
    Didn't they change the length of the studs or depth they were sunk in in mid '56? If that's true that's going to change most everything about the tone.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

"Body by Fisher....Brains by Fisher-Price"

Les Paul Forum Member

Hey now

I don't mean to imply that my '54 Junior has any apologies to make in the tone dept.It's just that by '57 they had figured out the best neck set angle for PLAYABILITY . Regarding tone this guitar just KILLED a '57 singlecut Jr and a '59 cherry doublecut that i had to choose from on the day of purchase.But the '54 will probably never be able to be setup as sweet as a '57.

Les Paul Forum Member

4 different types of 57 juniors

1957 juniors

4 different types:

1)early ones were like 56 (not a strong magnet but a lot of windings result in -no bottom end –E and A string weaker

2) –the best w/really strong magnet and 7.5 & 7.6 reading (not a lot of windings)

buttons crumble thru mid 57

3) 8.2 resistence – too weak of a magnet –too many windings

4) In the later part of 57 Gibson started experimenting --- 8.7 has alnico 5 (not dynamic) 8.8 alnico4 (dark)

buttons non-crumble kind from mid 57 to 65

root

Les Paul Forum Member
    I don't know about 56's and 57's but the P90 in my '54 certainly isnt weak in the low end or E and A string. It has a reading of 6.5 or so on the meter but actually has more punch and volume than a new gibson P90(reads 7.5) i have in my other Junior.

Les Paul Forum Member

resistance readings and sound

Gregg Levy from Hi-Test guitars in Norwood, NJ (look for adv. in Vint Guit p.23 usually) says (pricey but way nicey and trusty-you get what you pay for...) just because you have a reading of 8.something or higher doesn't mean a great "SOUND"! -="blistering?????"

yeah........... it's what we all refer to as HOT.......... but HOT (less e and a string) is not necessarily GOOD!!!!!!!!.

The lower to mid 7.5 ....something readings usually have a better balance of lead AND rhythm/chords-- overall/at the same time/song/one guitar.

Sure , people boast of "blistering 9.0 readings but blistering might mean single note screamers only.

Even Mr. West (who I've actually jammmed with in the early 80's-----a story unto itself) says that --Some are better for lead and some are better for rhythm.. very rarely do you get a "2" Trick Pony - unless you know how to F**k with the tone and volume pot. He only had ONE that could do both that he used on stage and he gave..... that ONE to Mr. Peter Twnsnd from The WHO...

Some single cuts kill other double cuts in certain amp situatuons - some double cuts kill others in other amp situations. Would you rather have a tele or a LPJR? GO TO... --NEW THREAD in "OTHER GIBSONS"

Les Paul Forum Member

54 and 55 pup resistance

Guys,

To make a longggggggggggg story short--

The early LPJRS had stronger magnets and less windings and readings under 8.0- more dynamic --as far as highs and lows.

Weaker readings but MORE DYNAMIC..Get it????????? Higher readings --less dynamic ( less lows / more highs)

root according to Gregg Levy