• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need recommendations for "bedroom" tube amp

sloopG

Thanks for all the feedback.

Checked out some Fenders but finally decided on the Crate V1512. Small size, 15 watts, sounds very good at low volume, decent reverb. Not much in the feature category... no headphone jack, footswitch jack etc... just a nice, simple class A amp. Uses 2 EL84 Groove Tubes. Price at GC was better than discount web sites even with tax. Will give it a good workout this weekend.

SloopG

vseprosto90211

Found one review on amplifiers , here is the link. 30 watts Marshall amp seemed to be the most attractive. Check this and the other amps out. Maybe you'll find the one you like.

herb

Carr Rambler. I know, a little pricey but you can find them used for $1K or more less than new retail price, which I did. At either 14 or 28 watts it's the only amp you'll probably ever need for bedroom, recording or live use. Uses 6L6 glass. Great amp.

PaulD

Guys this thread is 17 years old and the OP has not posted on the forum since 2004 so I very much doubt if he is still looking for recommendations!

The user who restarted the thread in post #22 is a newly registered user who has 3 posts and all of those posts have been to old threads that have had no activity for over 15 years. I'm guessing it is either a bot or a troll of some sort.

marshall1987

IMO for a "bedroom" amp, you can't go wrong in choosing one of Mark Baier's low-power Victoria tweed Fender replicas. There is a complete line of Victoria tweed combos that are suitable for home use, and also as a small club amp.

If you desire a sensible bedroom amp that won't disturb neighbors, look no further than the Victoria 518 (8-inch speaker), or Victoria 5112 ( 12-inch speaker), faithful Fender tweed Champ replicas. With it's single 6V6-GT power section these amps deliver a sensible output of about 5 watts.

Here's a link to Victoria Amps:

http://www.victoriaamp.com

Reactions: ADP

marshall1987

Found one review on amplifiers , here is the link. 30 watts Marshall amp seemed to be the most attractive. Check this and the other amps out. Maybe you'll find the one you like.

Guys this thread is 17 years old and the OP has not posted on the forum since 2004 so I very much doubt if he is still looking for recommendations!

The user who restarted the thread in post #22 is a newly registered user who has 3 posts and all of those posts have been to old threads that have had no activity for over 15 years. I'm guessing it is either a bot or a troll of some sort.

You're probably right.....note the possible nefarious hyper-link this new LPF member cleverly inserted into his post. I would caution others not to click on this link. :dang

GoldenState

Actually a 50 W amp plays better at low levels than a 20W. You might get a nice fat clean sound a low levels, and use an overdrive when needed. A 20W always needs more loudness to sound decent and not thin. A 18W BB at low volume is not impressive. At full throttle is blows away most high watt amps.

clamato

I use a marshall jcm800 50watt halfstack in my room. works great :dude

Marshall jcm 900 50 watt into a 4x12 Marshall 1960 cabinet -

click the "half-power" switch on the back of the head

Last edited:

Riffraff

I've got a few I like for around the house. One of my favorites is a Tweaker 15 head through a 112 cab. I like to run it in the Clean setting with the Gain up so it's on the edge of break up then push it over the top with an OD pedal. I put a HOF and DL8 in the loop with a 25k EB JR last in the chain which really helps control the volume. I have a Delta Blues that's great for that too.

My current go to home rig is this small rack rig. It's a lot of fun.

KJqlfZU.jpg

renderit

That's pretty cool looking.

I would get lost with all the buttons and such but cool.

I just use one of these (usually the Torpedo) with the amps I'm used to.

It has enough buttons to make me guess at times, but it just replaces the speakers.

36128167900_5ec5b112bb_3k.jpg

Riffraff

Very cool. That's Something I need to get my hands on in the future. I need a usable DAW and an IR loader so I can record clips with something better than my looper pedal.

MacFangus

- Fender Champ w/KOT clone pedal.
- VOX AC15 Heritage w/EF86 channel w/KOT and/or Crowther Double Hot Cake pedal.
- Marshall Silver Jubilee 2554 w/Ceriatone Centura pedal.
- Ampeg GVT15 w/KOT and/or Crowther Double Hot Cake pedal.
- Marshall SV2O w/KOT pedal.

Note: 68 Pedals makes a wonderful KOT clone. It was called "King Of Clone" but has been changed to "All Seeing Eye". I don't advocate cloning, but the wait time on a KOT is quite long. Purchase a 68 Pedals clone for use while you're waiting for you KOT to arrive. The 68 Pedals clone comes with low/high gain select for both sides, which is very cool!

o31483O.jpg

GimmeGibson

Marshall DSL20 head and cab. Great sound even at conversation levels. I have no problems playing while the house is sleeping. And they are cheap as far as valve amps go.

DougH

Vox AC10 with new tubes and an Alnico blue or maybe a green back in the cab replacing the VX10. We plugged it into an open back cabinet with 2 X 12 Vintage 30s today and the amp blew me away. I put JJ power tubes and Electro Harmonix 12AX7s.

ADP

The Victoria Regal II is the greatest tube amp design in modern history. Load it with just one 6V6 power tube and you're all set!