• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Great Insrument (Electric Guitar) Recording Mics ?

J T

:hmm
So get that Royer, ditch the 57, and use one mic line for the amp. May come in handy to free up an input line.

The Shifter

IMO, what sort of mic pre you are plugging any mic into is just as important.

A Neve 1073 style channel strip goes a long way to getting most mics into guitar friendly territory.

I really like the Vintec Audio X73i.

P.Walker

I like two mics for one amp. One close, off-center, and a second one far.

Sm57 for near most of the time. Not really a fan of the 121 as a second mic and I much prefer a c414 in its place.

Never liked the e609s either.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Hey, guys!

For a while a standard practice in the studio to record amps has been the combination of an SM57 and a Royer R-121 ribbon. Between the two you got a nice round sound and you can mix between the two to blend their responses.

Bob,

Have you tried Shure's KSM313? Its big selling point is that the ribbon is made of "Roswellite," which Shure describes as, "acoustic nanofilm.' It’s an extremely strong, low mass, superelastic, paramagnetic composite with high inherent conductivity and shape memory properties," and therefore, much more durable than traditional foil ribbons. I purchased one thinking that "if anybody is going to accidentally blow up a ribbon mic, it's going to be me," and I've been pretty happy with it.

shure-ksm313-ne.jpg

Last edited:

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
:hmm
So get that Royer, ditch the 57, and use one mic line for the amp. May come in handy to free up an input line.

I think you'd be better off with both a 57 and a ribbon. They compliment each other quite nicely.

J T

I think you'd be better off with both a 57 and a ribbon. They compliment each other quite nicely.

Yes quite so. The other combo I like which was mentioned earlier is the 57 and 414.:)

(I always put a piece of tape over the phantom power switch when the 121 is up.:##)

Dave P

A studio player I know said the TUL G12 is a killer guitar mic, but kind of hard to find