• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anybody Own Or Play A Les Paul Recording Model?

gibson-r8

Joneye said:
How thick are the bodies? LP dimension or closer to SG?

Actually, I think the body is a little thicker than the standard, I would have to measure it to be sure. It is double bound, black binding front and back. Mine has three piece maple neck (60's profile) and three piece maple top, wide Nashville style bridge and a monster volute. I believe there were about 700 of the 78-79 (?) made, some in Kalamazoo and some in Memphis.

With the phase switch, it is capable of some unique tones, and it is my favorite finger pickin guitar. Good clean, strat-like tone.

R.A.O.

This thread is winding down, but I gotta say, I really have been lusting for one.
If you want to sound like Les, this is the guitar and I obviously wouldn't mind sounding like Les. I'm not a huge fan of the usual Marshall/LP blue rock aesthetic, so I'm glad it doesn't sound like a 'bucker Paul.
I'm a fan of phase switches, gadgets, etc, as well. One of my secret lusts is a Guild Brian May......

ldb

I think youre right -seems i have heard the same thing- ales paul recording amp as i seem to recall.

Al, keep your eye out for a recording guitar-these can be had cheaply because of thier bad rep, but, it seems many i have seen are in poor condition and over priced, because they are "a Les Paul" and the sales guys are waiting for a sap. They do seem to hover at about $1000 give or take for ones in very good condition-beware too those which have been monkeyed with in an effort to get the Les Paul sound. Beware also I have seen more than one which had the nitro dryed out and yellowing and separating from the mahogany-almost like very thick brittle yellow cellophane-i imagine due to too much sun and not bonding with the mahogany ( i have no idea why, as this doesnt seem to happen on other mahogany guitars).

I couldnt imagine using an lpr and getting any tube distortion out of a Twin, even dimed. If I dime my Marshall 30th in the low out put setting I get little power tube distortion, and a bit more using the normal output.

I have a question for anyone who is pretty knowledgable about low z stuff, cause I aint. I understand that most low z cords are those with a microphone-like configuration, and thus incompatible with a guitar, even using some kind of 1/4" adaptor. Low z, to my understanding, usually has 3 lines. The LP recording has a normal 1/4" cord with 2 lines (NOT A STEREO cord with 3 sections-which is what an adaptor to a mic cord would require).

How could one use the guitar's low z setting and then boost the output to a normal amp-say using some kind of signal boost box or what ever?? I would like to know how to boost the signal, and see what happens. From Harmony Central mythology or some other posts, I remember some guy saying that if you use the low z output setting (by-passing the built in transformer on the recording models) with an outboard transformer the sound is much better-any comments would be appreciated

Hi, Ive used mine for years through a Schaller fuzz box,intensity set about 3/4 and the LPR on low impedance......really rips.....Decade never seemed to do a lot apart from extreme ends of the dial.The SChaller is about 72or 73 same as the LPR(ser no 1050010.

zombiwoof

Not a rock guitar?.
I saw Terry Kath of Chicago (Then called Chicago Transit Authority) wail on one many years ago when they opened for Hendrix at the Forum in L.A. Unbelievable playing and sound. I think he preamped his amp with a smaller amp or something.
Al