• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1x12 2x12

plaintop

As I was looking into a small cabinet it dawned on me that a lot of guys here use them. I already know I want the G12H 30's. What cabinet is best?

DoobieK

I cannot offer any advice on which brand to recommend, but I feel that 2x12 gives a better dispersion of sound and adds more of a three dimensional sound.

As far as brand goes, I have tried a few off brands like Sonic, ADA and what looked like a homemade cab, and they all sounded good depending on which speakers I used, with which amp, etc.

katmandude

probably 2x12. However I have a 1x12 and it is cool. I'm gonna swap the speaker to a vintage 30.

are you going open back or closed? mine is closed solid birch.

60burst

Les Paul Forum Member
Plaintop

I have a Sonic that works well. It compares well with my original 60s Vox cabinet that it is copied after.
One 12 is usually best for the smaller amps. 2x12 is more useable with the bigger amps. I only own 2x12 cabinets but have a couple wired where each speaker is used by itself. This is like having 2 1x12 cabinets. It is handy for me........

js15

you should check out jenkins cabs:

http://www.jenkinssoundshop.com/

i have a 2x12 with G12H30's in it. it has a removable panel to switch between open and closed back, and i have it wired with a series/parallel switch. it's built extremely well, and is nice and compact.

S

Snags

I have a Laney sealed 2X12 with Celestion G12M 70s in it. It measures 26"x26"x12", and the speakers are mounted diagonally- one in the upper left, and one in the lower right. It projects really well and puts out obnoxious SPLs when I drive it hard with a 100W amp, but up close it doesn't "surround" you with sound the way an open back cab next to a wall will.

darkburst

I just completed a search for a cab for my THD Univalve. I came up with a lot of options but narrowed it down to the Bogner, Bruno and Jenkins. I went with the Jenkins JSS112 as the reviews on Harmony-Central were overwhelmingly positive, as well as they were recommended here. Also has a large selection of tolex and grill cloth to choose from. He does have a 3-4 week wait, so that might factor in your decision. His Highway 61 cab is especially nice.

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
PT59, let me also throw in with the Jenkins camp. Also, try mixing speakers. I have a Highway 61 cab with one new G12H30 Anniversary and one late seveties greenback that is a killer combo. My earlier Jenkins regular 2X12 has one Celestion 65 and an older Greenback. Also killer. This cab is my Mick Taylor with John Mayall, Blues Crusade cab. This box will get all over that tone. good luck!

Hey Snags what do you think of those celestion G12M 70's I think the History of Marshall book stated they were really crap, but I use them in a 2x12 and think they sound alright.

S

Snags

I like 'em a lot, but I'm not pushing them with a Marshall head. I have a rack with a couple different preamps and other various toys, so I have quite a bit of control over the sound.

Spose

Les Paul Forum Member
2 cents..

I like those 1x12 recto Boogie cabs.
Matte has a couple for sale in the marketplace, nice tight bass response. good price too.