• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Paging Mr. Erlewine

Lee Malone

Paging Mr. Erlewine

Dan, I've never done a neck reset on a Guild, but one came in recently... Should I expect mortise/tenon, or dovetail?

thanks, amigo.

Dan Erlewine

Leave Malone . . .

. . . that's just a play on words, Lee. I would assume that you are dealing with a dove-tail. But that would be a Guild that was made in USA. I know most about Guilds made in Westerly or before, less about Nashville ones.

One comment I have on Guild neck resets is that they can be harder than some other guitars because of the wide heel and the glue used.

I have struggled with some Guilds (unlike a Martin neck which "pops" off comparatively).

Also, it would depend on the model, too.

If you contact Guild down in Nashville you could find out more. Ask for Tim Shaw or Mark Piper at the Guild plant there. Either one could give you the advice you need.

Let us know how it comes out!

Watch out for blushing from the steam! (Wear safety glasses).

dan

Lee Malone

...Good pun, Dan..."Leave Malone"

..."Lee Malone" is the name one of my bosses used to register under in hotels on the road. Sometimes he used "Levy Malone"..heheh... rock stars :roll:

anyway...I'll release the fretboard extension and wait until tomorrow and see if Tim or Mark are available...

..NOT thrilled to hear that Guilds are/can be troublesome... Figures, though...

Any benefit to drilling an extra hole on each side to get more steam in around the heel?

Last edited: