• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What is heavy or light in a Les Paul?

Rayvyn

My 58 Jr is 6lb 6oz and it has the best sound - tone of any Les Paul I have ever played... Feels like balsa wood to pick up and rips like a big dog plugged in... Not sure why and don't really care...

Speaking of big dogs, I heard some of your playing at Mark's the other day LPNV59 and it was extremely well done...

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
Thanks rayvyn!

Seriously, I envy these guys that prefer heavy Les Pauls. Its alot easier finding heavy weight ones than lightweight ones.

burstin'don

I would have to agree with Mr Ganzler... Weight and sound are very subjective...I had a 57 goldtop that weighed 10.25 lbs, sounded great but my shoulder was very sore after playing for 1-1.5hr... I also had a 68 custom that was a whopping 11.5lbs, sounded great but too damm heavy...I have noticed heavier guitars are a little clearer tighter sounding though!! Your thoughts Joe...What's the heaviest burst you've encountered???Regards DON

Last edited:

Ed A

What Ganzler said....

And to answer Dan's original question. 8 3/4 would of been a feather in 1971, but compared to original bursts I would put it dead average which is a good thing. To me, when talking about 'light' or 'heavy' as it refers to real bursts or R9s, 8 lbs is light, 9 1/2 is heavy....

rockandroller

9.9 pounds works great for me... and it would be even heavier if it had a maple top (mine is 1-piece carved body)

I played one that was 13 pounds and I actually liked it a lot (at least sitting down)

sunking101

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

...but anyway. I was going to start a similar one so thought I should crack this one back open instead.

When I bought my first and second LPs I had no idea that some were much lighter than others. My present Standard is like a boat anchor, easily over 10 lbs. My LP Custom in it's case feels way lighter than my Standard out of its case. Had I known there were such things as heavy LPs I probably wouldn't have bought my Standard but it sounds great so here it stays. It does amaze me that there'e such a disparity between different non-weight relieved models.