• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"Whole Lotta Love" tone

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Screw you guys, now this is driving me nuts :laugh2:

According to the Wall Street Journal (funny source, lol) they did a joint interview/article with Page and the engineer for the WLL session whose name is George Chkiantz. In the same article they did a "Behind the scenes" feature of images which Chkiantz/Page verified were from the WLL session in the large room at Olympic Studios. I like that because when remembering 4+ decades ago let's just say two heads are better than one. I don't even remember what I ate last week. :## I also have interviews with Page from guitar world compilation and he's seriously all over the map in those interviews the way he answers questions he's kinda vague about everything with constant tangents.

The WSJ article was part of a series that Marc Myers, the author, eventually compiled into a book called Anatomy of a Song, which includes interviews with everybody from Keith Richards, Roger Waters, to the surviving members of the Clash and Jimmy Cliff. It's a great read, and very well-researched.

deytookerjaabs

The WSJ article was part of a series that Marc Myers, the author, eventually compiled into a book called Anatomy of a Song, which includes interviews with everybody from Keith Richards, Roger Waters, to the surviving members of the Clash and Jimmy Cliff. It's a great read, and very well-researched.

Much more important:

What kind of jerk gets a writing gig with WSJ then convinces the brass to spend all his time interviewing rock gods? :laugh2:

If you're watching Wall Street Journal, the fantastic digital new outlet you are...I'm free. :salude

deytookerjaabs

And there it is..

Vox UL-730 Hybrid/SS/Tube Amplifier. (hence they're going for 10g's, lol)

Ric Transonic Cab

Vox Long Tom Echo Unit

It's neat hearing it raw without any studio color, grungy and lo-fi sounding:

skip to 1:14

Zinc Alloy

The amp in the photos of the recording session is a different one. It was a Vox UL4120. But yeah, it nails that tone. The 7 series amps were also famously used by the Beatles (Revolver era). Not many of these amps have survived, so they sure are very collectable.

deytookerjaabs

The amp in the photos of the recording session is a different one. It was a Vox UL4120. But yeah, it nails that tone. The 7 series amps were also famously used by the Beatles (Revolver era). Not many of these amps have survived, so they sure are very collectable.

A UL4120:

guv34mnsgvtdibklwlap.jpg

Clearly has 4x4 knob setup.

jGDJ2E1.jpg

This ^^^ one has 6 knobs on the left side, the right side is hard to make out, plus it's bigger looking than the 4120?

Any better pics of that session?

It could have been a few different models but at the least the knob configuration needs to match.

Zinc Alloy

Four knobs on the left, followed by two jacks. The fourth control on the second channel may be missing its knob.

fac171f163232b122f4babe5f3ea2532.jpg

El Gringo

Ok, then maybe he plays the rhythm on the Dragon Tele and the lead "freak out " on his new vintage burst courtesy of Mr. Walsh .