• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bought the Tech 21 Trademark 10

Karaoke Karl

Congrats Dewey,

Yes I can't get enough of this little amp when I am practicing at home. It is just the right volume to get a nice Gary Moore sustain. All my other amps don't sound good at low volumes and require me to drag out the 100 pound things and lug it all in. I leave this amp plugged in my living room. Effects and cords ready to go.

I finally got to try it the other night at rehersal going into a 4x12 that is at the rehersal hall. I don't know if it was the cabinet but I ended up NOT using it and just going direct out of the Tech TM10 speaker. It cut through better. This was with a live band with drums so that gives you an idea of how loud this can go. I could have used a little more volume though. I was already pegged at 10 on the master.

Lhakim- I am enjoying all your settings. If you discover more please send and I will post.

GuitarG

Has anyone used the XLR out for recording direct? How is the sound?
Thanks

Marshallhead

trademark 10

i bought one as soon as they came out-it is an awesome little amp-the di works beautifully-for recording and live rehersal or gigs-i'm a huge fan of their gear-i have several pedals and did own the trademark 60 which i didnt like as much as the 10 because of the built in gt2 switches the 10 has offers more versatility-it probably is the ultimate practice amp for home-i'll tell you if you like the tones out of that try the gt2 pedal rammed into the front of your fav tube amp and let em rip-bedy,bedy cewl;)

Dewey

The Czar
I finally plugged the LP into the little beast this morning WOW :wow it's hard to believe the sound this amp has w/humbuckers. I'm even more pleased than before. I can see where you can tweak to tone for days with the settings. One of my fav's with the LP is the Bloomfield and Greene settings from LH's list. Great little amp AAA++++

Thanks for the good tip on this amp ;)

LHakim

Dewey, have you thought of running your new amp through the Celestion in your Ampeg? I bet it would sound pretty good.

The TM 10 does indeed enjoy humbuckers, the hotter the better! And has anyone else noticed that w/its reverb circuit, the reverb is as distinct on the low notes as it is w/ the high notes? This is not the case w/ vintage Fenders reverb amps.

Dewey

The Czar
Larry, no actually have not thought about it! I'll hook it up and let you know what I think......thanks :dew

DLHelfand

WOOOHOO!

Got mine today. I have played these in the store but I can't believe how great they sound when I could jam at home. Too bad its not channel switching. Great sounds. Pretty loud. Too loud for my apt turned up all the way. Reverb sounds great too. I bought mine used and it came with everything, cover, manual, quick start reference guide. Best $150 I ever spent on guitars. I have pedals that cost way more then that and they sound good but can't do a fraction as much. This is a must have. Won't replace my Rivera, but it probably could and not many people would know the difference.

Dewey

The Czar
I agree 100% DL, I've had mine a little over a week now and love it. I'm still squeezing tones out of it. Today I'm going to jack it into an Alinco Blue in my Ampeg box to see what comes out of it! You got a "supe deal" too, cause I had to pay the retail of $300, and I'm still quite happy...whether it's the Strat or the LP, you can coax great tones out of this little guy;)

It won't take the place of the tube amps around here, but I'm certainly using it a hell of a lot more....I agree, a must for around the house....glad I read this thread, and made a decision to buy! :dew

Last edited:

Silver Rocket

I've been considering one of these, but I got a Sansamp GT-2 recently and I don't think it was too great when plugged into either the front end or the effects return of my Fender Princeton Chorus DSP. It wasn't bad, but it could get muddy (especially on the "Hi-Gain" mode, which just seemed to take away a ton of treble) and it didn't seem particularly dynamic. And even not at high-gain settings, for example, with the Drive at 12:00, British, Clean, it still blurred the notes when I played full barre chords: string definition was lost.

I've heard that the GT-2 and TM10 have the same basic circuit. Is this true, and do you know if the TM10 sounds any better than the GT-2?

Phil M

GT-2

I've owned a few of their products and have tried most of the others. Even though I prefer tubes, I think the Tech 21 stuff rocks.

Silver Rocket, did you try seriously tweaking the GT-2. the 'high' and 'low' knobs have a HUGE range on them. I've used mine for years in different capacities and never had a problem getting clarity and note definition. The knobs are capable of making mud, but only if you want to. Maybe it's the amp you've been using it with? I don't know, I'm only commenting because my experience with the pedal has been so different.

I don't own the TM 10 but I've tried it (I'm holding out for either the 60 or 120), but its set up is very similar to the GT-2. Add it's own speaker and cab and you're talking a different ball game though.

Gizmo59

YIKES!
We should take a poll & find out how many members own one of these amps. I have had mine for about 2 months now & I love it. The only problem I've had is the power light is intermittent. I e-mailed tech 21 & they sent me one right away. Oh, yeah & sometimes the speaker rattles when I use a guitar with humbuckers, doesn't do it with single coils.

brumma

Tech21 TM10 Owners

I've had my TM10 since mid-April. It's a great sounding amp--especially with a Les Paul IMO! I had the same problem with the power lamp going out after about a month, but they sent me a new one and it was a snap to replace. However, I'm having the same problem as Gizmo59--my speaker rattles like crazy when I play certain notes (usually in the low end) and its not limited to my Les Paul--it does the same thing with my Strat. The problem developed within the last month or so and steadily got worse. It's actually at the Tech21 shop right now being taken care of (I hope). I sure miss that amp! Other than those minor setbacks, I think its a great amp!

-brumma

plaintop

Take it back

It's funny I started this thread and have since returned my TM 10. I could not get passed the exact thing you guys are now discussing. I like to play pretty loud and the amp just vibrated like crazy, drove me nuts. I went bact to using my 70's vibro champ with the original Tech 21 SansAmp pedal. It is a little more organic IMO than the TM 10. Must be the power tubes. I could care less what is in the preamp cause you can tweak it. But I have always used tubes in the power section and Im just used to it. I can tell when it is not there. I run the champ on 8-10 ...floored and then throttle the output knob on the pedal. The champ is built very well with no vibration at all. This setup costs less than the TM 10.

I love the tone of the TM 10 but the construction is questionable.

LHakim

The rattle shouldn't be an issue if you play the tm 10 thru a separate speaker cab. I've played mine thru the Celestion V30 in my Marshall, and thru the Jensen in my Princeton and it has sounded great both ways. I also like Dewey's idea and if I had the $$$ I would remove the chassis and reverb and try to mount it them a Tweed Deluxe style cabinet w/ a reissue Celestion Alnico speaker. However I've not had any construction problems w/mine, but it is one of the older ones. To my ears, this amp is not less organic sounding than any of my tube amps.

Dewey

The Czar
I definitely second that Larry. Since I wired the TM10 into the Ampeg cabinet with the Celestion Blue, I just can't pull the plug;) With a good speaker and a solid construction cab you won't have any rattles or buzzing. Though I didn't have any to start, Larry's suggestion to put the alnico blue into the mix was a terrific idea....you wouldn't believe the tone that comes from that little beast with a decent speaker. I never bought this little amp to gig with either, it was bought with the intention of using at home and getting great sound at low "household" volumes. And it does just that! I was going back and forth from my BF Pro Reverb and the Tech 21, and though the Pro definitely has beautiful tone, at low volume you can't come close to the versatility of the TM10. And I don't like using a peddle on the Fender, but with this little guy you don't need one, and with a good speaker, you can get real close to some real usable tones with single coils and humbuckers. Also I think, you need a little time and patience to coax the variety of tones this amp is capable of producing with a little tweaking. I have the tube amps for specific kinds of playing, the TM 10 is in a world of it's own for a 10w amp...my 2 cents....:dew

LHakim

One thing no one has really discussed is the fact that one of the primary purposes of this amp is to record with. To my ears it sounds huge on tape, (miked or thru the xlr output) and really jumps out of the mix better. It makes me and my guitar sound better on tape than ever before. Frankly I wish this amp was around when I was doing the bulk of my "serious" recording back in the '80s. I'd be interested to hear of others recording experiences w/this amp.