The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Line 6 Flextones......

Hey everybody.....

im interested in that Line 6 flextone II plus amplifier....

does anybody here own/tried these amps?

if so, how is it?

opinions, complaints, praises anything at all

also where can i find the best deal on one, in the NYC area....???

thanx in advance.....

Swirling Vortex of Sound
    Classic Club
    I dig them a lot, but most here seem to hate 'em. You have to tweak the hell out of them, but I've found quite a few usable sounds in them. I'm assuming you're a Nu-Metal kind of guy. I think you like the "Insane" patch.
    I've found that prices are about the same no matter where you go.

thanks lure for the info.......

i am a nu-metal kind of guy, and a classic rock guy, and a heavy metal guy, the list goes on....

if the flextone can at least approximate each amp, i should be happy.....

so the price of $699 is pretty much the same everywhere?

here is my take

and i mean no offense-to jam,create,learn tunes and otherwise expand ones guitar tone jones,prowess or even record in a by yourself situation these are fun amps-in a band situation i cannot say the same-there is a feel that a healthy tube amp dishes out in spades and cannot be reproduced-i know i sound old hat but i love gear and i am always trying the new thing out-but i took a flextone home from my friends store to try out at home and had a blast with all the crazy shit i could come up with on it-when the time came for rehearsal i was less than impressed-(this was the 200watt head and a 60?-i think- watt combo-hope this helps-sending the signal to the board for micing yielded the same results-mostly because i am biased(no pun intended) to an amp that responds to your every command-prices should be comparable anywhere as they are a big seller-good luck and enjoy the insane patch----its cool

Here was my post on HC (I go the Ranchher one). Anyway, syill dig it for the reasons below. Bill yancy

Features: 9
    Lots. See their super web site. I don't use all the setting (I'll take off for that) but the feature I do use are more than fine. Other than that it's a bedroom picker's grin machine. More (applied to my tastes and style) that I'll ever use but it's ON! This is the same amp as the Flextone II just different "Ranchero" covering.

Sound Quality: 9
    Here's why I got it. I'm pushing a tele or McCarty via the Klon Centaur into a A/B/Y box and simultaneously running my Dr. Z Route 66 and my '71 Twin Reverb. Ah, but when I'm at home getting those tools to sing, frankly, they have been known to blow the windshield out of my neighbors VW (kidding). But what's a musician to do, volume-wise, when the practice bug hits? This baby will probably never leave my home but I can put it on volume 3 or 4 and do my thing... it really satisfies. Playing out? I personally wouldn't do it because of what I'm using already but I guess you could. It says 60 watts but my 32 Watt Dr. Z BLOWS this out of the water in volume (and sound). I have recorded with it--real nice--nice enough to do an album. Guess if you miked the amp (don't forget to allow for the tone settings btwn bedroom volumes and live applications--they ARE different) for a live gig it would work well. haven't used any effect boxes with it because it really doesn't need them. This is a really well thought out amp. Have had it for three months now (honeymoon's over) and I still dig it highly. It's fun to mess around on but the best thing is to be able to get those low volume tones and still enjoy the heck and be satisfied, whether just diddling or actual practice. I did not get the floor board--you have four 'save' settings and I can save exactly what I need there. Every part of this amp is easy to use and it sounds great for what I use it for (neighbors and I are back on speaking terms OK. These will not nail exactly a tube amp--because they're not a tube amp! But they get MORE than reasonably close to most of the tones you hear. Really! But, like I mentioned, while this thing probably won't see the sun 'o shinin' outside my home it is on and being used a lot. Plus (grin) there's absolutely no warm up time. None! Push the button and do your thing. Big plus when you've got 15-30 minutes to put a shine on your chops. Have heard that the Flextone II was just a POD w/a speaker strapped to its back; well, it is and it isn't. I tried the POD via my Twin and Dr. Z--that sucked, plus I was defeating all bunches of personal purposes for the Flextone II in the first place.

Reliability: 8
    I got what I paid for (I say that in a very positive way). Lots of support sites out there:

http://www.theflexfiles.com/
    http://listen.to/malhavok
    http://www.dthraco.com/http://www.li...ansfer_POD.cfm
    http://www.line6.com/Main/The_Lup/To...ansfer_POD.cfm
    http://home.earthlink.net/~radsystems/links.html

to name just a few... that said, I also called the company a few times talking tone. They know their product (plus they didn't badmouth the competition). I was also looking at the Trademark amps--it's just that the Flextone II gave me more for what I am using it for. The Line 6 guy (BTW, they're easy to contact) said that while I may void my warranty, he knows some folks swap out the Line 6 spkr for a Celestion Vintage 30 with better results--I can also imagine that if you do this you may alter the original multi-purpose generic spkr Line 6 uses to cover all bases but I'll bet it would be a good thing. I just haven't done that yet. Reliable? So far, yes; it's just that digital crap grates on me. But bottom line is that I don't use it as a snowboard and it remains in a controlled environment. If it breaks I'll either throw it out or get it fixed (swap out a card??). Think of it like this: if your treat it like a Pentium VIII CPU or a real nice high-speed lap top then it'll probably last longer than Peter Jennings. If you treat it like an old TRS-80 or an old sofa (same things) then it'll eventually give in. It appears, in every way, quite durable--innards and outards.

Customer Support: 9
    Real good. Spoke to two different folks their. No party line (save for the "you'll void your waranty if you..."); just good phone. I hope they maintain their good-dudedness! Got it from a local Guitar Center (totally disrespect the people who work there in a big way--another story: OK, I walk in feeling good and walk out being frustrated or pissed off and the consistent deception). That said, kudos to GC 'cause I think they may have mismarked this pristine instrument of battle. GC sales dunkees don't have a clue about tone or their products--do your homework people!

Overall Rating: 9
    I'd highly recommend for it's features and value. It's not a toy. But it doesn't have those coke bottle-like glowing KT66's in the back. Kind of like drinking frozen OJ vs fresh squoze--both do the trick but you know one of them is the real thing. I've been twanging for 23 years and if it were thieved then I would, on my own good time, probably get another. Great value. Super good realism (truly does not sound plastic). Love the lack of warm-up time too.

Swirling Vortex of Sound
    Classic Club
    Originally posted by IBeginToStupify
    so the price of $699 is pretty much the same everywhere?
    Is that for the head? I've only seen them for $999. I'm not too sure about the prices for the combos.
    I have the HD I, and use it in the studio and the stage. Never had a problem. I did notice that power was an issue when I was using 2 ADA 2X12 cabs. I had to turn it up to about 7 just to be heard. When I got a Line 6 2X12 cab, I only had to keep it at 4 or 5. I recently put in a pair of Celestion 1260s in it, and I couldn't believe the difference! It added a lot of dimension to the sound.
    I know a guy who uses an HD I and POD 2.0 exclusively, and you wouldn't believe the amazing sounds he gets. Like I said, ya gotta tweak the hell out of them.
    Good luck!

My experience...

A couple of months ago, I went through several of these. I tried the Flextone II, then took it back to get the Flex II+. The II+ was clipping in the output stage, so there wasn't enough clean volume. I got a new one from the factory, and it had the same problem. I traded up to the head. Here's where it gets interesting: It was originally plugged into a Marshall Valvestate 4x12, and wasn't very loud. When it was plugged into a Marshall 4x12 with Vintage 30s, it was blowing me off the stool. I took it home and plugged it into two different Marshall cabinets, and neither of them were very loud. What I was able to determine was that the head is extremely sensitive to the speakers it is plugged into. Vintage 30s are rated at 100 db sensitivity. All of my speakers are rated at 97 db sensitivity. That 3 db means DOUBLE volume!

The Flex IIs are great amps with lots of great tones in them, but you DO have to do some serious tweaking to dial them in where you want them. The great thing about them is that you get very inspired to play in styles you normally wouldn't. Another great thing is that different guitars sound like themselves; a Tele won't sound like a Les Paul. I ended up taking the head back and getting all my money back, but I hated to see the experiment end in failure, but I wasn't willing to spend more money to get it to work for me.

These are things you might want to consider up front...

Have you guys tried the Yamaha DG80 or 100? I like those amps a LOT better than any of the Line 6 stuff I've tried. I have a DG 1000 preamp in my rack, and I'm almost embarrased to say it, but I like it better than my Soldano X88R preamp.

thanx for the info everybody....

well i know that the real tube amps that the flextone models will of course be superior and the flex doesent sound exactly like it, but at least approximates.....

and im a teenager.....and just starting to really get into the gigs and stuff...and i find my amp just isnt "delivering"......

i wanted a mesa nomad.....but it is too expensive.......

and the flextone is light and kinda cheaper than the mesa...

also im wondering....is the flextone quiet?...

because noise is a really big problem w/ me ........

i have my gain at least 7+ ......(hi gain) and noise is such a big problem......

does the flextone have a noise suppressor or noise gate.....or is the amp generally quiet......even w/ hi-gain......?

thanx in advance

Swirling Vortex of Sound
    Classic Club
    I've heard that the Yamahas were pretty slamming, but no one seems to stock them, so I haven't been able to check them out. I'd like to see how the technology from the H&K ZenTera and Line 6 Vetta trickles down. It'll be a (yet another) whole new ballgame.

The Flextone IIs do have a gate, and are pretty quite. The cool thing about them is that you can really fine-tune all the perameters rather painlessly when you install the SoundDiver software and hook it up to your amp. The most important thing to do is tweak your sounds at "gig" volume! You'll be in a world of hurt if you don't.:eek Things that sound great in your room get ugly pretty quickly when you crank it up. Another tip is to not over-do the gain. I keep mine at about 5 or 6, depending on the patch. Dino from Fear Factor doesn't set his Flextone's gain any higher than 12 o'clock. I think Stephen from the Deftones does the same. It cuts through better.

so no one has anything to say about these amps....??

flextones, eh?

Swirling Vortex of Sound
    Classic Club
    There just aren't that many fans here.

Flextone

I have been using them on tour. We have been getting great results with them. Once you dial in a tone it sounds the same every night and that means a lot when you are touring. The show tapes that we have been getting sound great, and the models sound authentic. The effects are the weak link but that will be addressed with the new Vetta amp along with better sounding models as well. The thing that works best for my band is that the master volume on the amp behaves like a master fader on a board. Your tones retain the same headroom no matter where the master volume is set. At extreme levels a twin still sounds clean, and at very quiet levels my Marshall mods still sound cranking. We have used these amps at large outdoor shows and at 100 person clubs with great results.