• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

newbie needs help removing pick up covers

2002standardmat

What is the best way for me to remove the lovely nickel covers on a set of burstbuckers off my 2002 standard?

I have no specific equipment apart from an old soldering iron, and I do not intend to just dive in with this and hope for the best - experience over enthusiasm there!

And anyway, it is something else for me to tinker with at the weekend.

PS: will I notice a massive tonal change - I know to expect some but how much I'm not sure of - some of you may tell me it isn't even worth it anyway?

BTW the amp i use is a Line 6 Flextone II

2002standardmat

I'm getting there

Thanks for the advice - i have had a good search of the forums over the weekend annd pick up some good general tips - I just owndered if theyre were any specific tips for the new burstbuckers as opposed to other types of HB.

Hcochoa

I tend not to like to mess with pick ups any more than you have to.

The wire in them is very thin an if you break it, you're screwed.

If money is not an issue, just swap them out for some open coil pups.

2002standardmat

there sounds the voice of reason

i've been tinkering with them non-stop for the last week and i think i've achieved a more desirable tone by backing them off a bit and lowering them away from the strings and altering some pole piece heights - more vintage tone- may not need to remove the covers after all.

sods law i'd probably lose a digit in the process anyway.

if i did replace them with open coil pups - a slash fixation would suggest i use SD alinco pro IIs, don't know what others would be good though.

I like a vintage tone more than anything else.

Zhangliqun

The best and safest way is a Dremel with a cutter wheel. Using a solder gun takes too long and you still end up having to pry the cover off the baseplate -- which is dangerous for the wire inside -- because you never enough of the solder out to break the joint.

I also have a vacuum cleaner on hand to suck away the "solder dust" as the wheel cuts.