• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

TWL

92 Wine red Studio through a 92 Marshall JCM-900 4100 Fullstack. Love the tone, with no pedals.

kbmitch

2002 Desert Burst Standard through an old Peavey Special 130. I sometimes use a Zoom 3000 effects pedal.

leeasam

I just recently traded my Explorer for a LP Standard 2002 model. Very nice Heritage Cherry sunburst. Nice flame top too. It has the 60s neck and the new burst bucker pups. I Love the thing!!! I play through a Line 6 Pod 2.3 and a Line 6 Flextone II XL ( 100w -2x12s) This thing sounds great through this equipment. I like it better than the Explorer I had. The detail on this guitar is awesome. Gibson has definately got the upper hand on the competition.
When I`m not playing this I play a Taylor 410CE Acoustic elec. either through the sound board or through a Fender acoustic amp.

Gus63L

`79 Standard through a `71 Hiwatt DR-103 w/Sound City 4x12. A great`Live at Leeds' sound.

db5

A 1975 Wine Red Les Paul Deluxe w/ EMG's in it. Had for some 20 odd years. Currently play through a FenderCyber-Twin, but just picked up a JTM-45 RI. :brow

MadMac

'98 Flametop Custom through a Valvestate 100 (I know, I know. Some day tubes!).

Beau

'81 Black Les Paul Custom into a Rivera M100 for loud Rock and into a Tophat Club Royale for Blues.
It's funny, I've got a pretty decent Strat and I pick it up to play a bit and 5 minutes later, I'm back on the Paul.

bluebear

I guess that being a newbie with a grand total of 1 previous post easily qualifies me for this category. I play a Gary Moore Signature LP through a Peavy Classic 30. I don't own another LP or amp so choosing what to play is a moot point. I bought the Gary Moore because of the neck, the over all look of the guitar and the sound. The Classic 30 was the best used deal in a tube amp at the time. The two work great together.

bluebear

chieftan

I play a 1996 emerald green Studio Gem through a Fender Princeton Reverb II or a Marshall 50 watt Jubilee combo. The Gem I chose for the price and for the :smokin P90 pickups.

Sixstring

My Gibson Heritage 80 Elite through a Fender Cyber Twin Head with 4x12 Marshall until now....

Got my '99 R9 just yesterday and think that's gonna be my no. 1 from now on. :dude

I just love the CT's versatility.

BjornAgain

New member here too. Only one functional LP: 2001 Les Paul Studio (a black one) mostly throug a Peavey Classic 30. Recently I got my self a new amp too (Marshall 9001 preamp, solidstate power amp of unknown brand and a Marshal 1960A speaker cabinet) but that is not used so much yet.

My other LP is a project: a -78 Deluxe in halvbad condition which I'm about to renovate up, possibly making a sortof -57 Gold Top-lookalike.

GeetarGoul

BjornAgain

BjornAgain- How did yo come up with your name? I saw an Abba tribute band in Boulder, CO five years or so ago and they were called Bjorn Again. Actually a good show and in the middle they broke into a Black Sabbath mini set. The chicks didn't care much for it but they rocked it!

BjornAgain

Re: BjornAgain

GeetarGoul said:
BjornAgain- How did yo come up with your name? I saw an Abba tribute band in Boulder, CO five years or so ago and they were called Bjorn Again. Actually a good show and in the middle they broke into a Black Sabbath mini set. The chicks didn't care much for it but they rocked it!

Well, my name is a reference to that band name. My name is Björn and this is the second try I make to registermyself, so "Bjorn Again" is a logical name.

A few years ago the pop band Erasure did an Abba-tribute called "Abbaesque", and BjornAgain got a piece of that fame by making a record with Erasure songs, as a reply. :) That album was called Erasureish if I remenber right.

pete_spitzer

I've got 2 classics blowing through a Mesa Boogie Rectifier. Talk about making some great noise. Changed out the pups in both thought, and now I think I get a better tone. But I like heavy music, that's why I got the rectifier and the classics.

Tonebucket

Dare I say it, but I actually don't play Les Pauls most of the time. But I DO love them. When I bring one out it is usually my 1980 LP Custom, not necessarily because it's my favorite one (that would probably be my LP Elegant) but because it's a fantasic example without being dead mint or overly valuable. I play all my guitars through a stereo amp rig which consists of a 66 Fender Bassman head through a Marshall 1965A cabinet and a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10. As I say, I do love Les Pauls. But in the end I find my strat to be a more gig-friendly guitar.
Happy Holidays
Gene

Bake_McBride

'96 LP Classic through a Clark Beaufort (Tweed Deluxe repro). Its the best guitar-amp combo I've heard yet. The LP plays butter smoove or rumble, depending on my mood. LP through a tweed, s'all you needs.

CharlieS

I play an '02 R8 through a Marshall JTM-60 2 x 12 with NOS shield-logo Mullard EL34s. The tubes were big money but worth every penny. The tone is Allmans at Fillmore East, plus more....

Rob Eadgbe

I usually play my '01 Ebony Studio through a late eighties Laney AOR 100 with Svetlana EL-34s. I've had a couple of JCM 800, but the Laney sounds better to me, plus it has an effect loop, which my Marshall's never had.

I'll eventually get either an '02 Standard, or a Classic. I'd probably have to swap out the pu's on a Classic because I generally don't like ceramics. An '02 Standard I could very likely play stock.

paddyopossum

1991 Wine Red Les Paul Standard(not a highly regarded year, apparently, but this one's ok, built early in 91,,Feb 13) into a dual amp set up, Mesa/Boogie Blue Angel 1x12 combo and a Mesa/Boogie Maverick short head into a Mesa Dual Rectifier style 1x12 open back bottom with a Boss CE5 Chorus Ensemble(also a Boss DD3 Digital Delay in the chain of one amp) making the split and a Mesa V-Twin preamp in front of the Blue Angel. I haven't really played out with this, though I'd use it like this,, and if more power needed, a GK 250ML w/ another 1x12 Boogie bottom with a Peavey 1230 Sheffield in it attached to the GK, to pull up the Maverick and an old Peavey Studio Chorus 210 to pull up the Blue Angel, by using the DI outs of the Mesa's.
This guitar records beautifully through a Korg Pandora PX4 or a Behringer V-Amp. Was using a Tascam 788, but have changed to an Alesis ADAT HD24, with a Soundcraft/Spirit M12 board into a pair of Tannoy 800A's, compressing the mix with an RNC. I'll take the Pandora into two Joemeek MQ3's, running the stereo out of the PX4 into the Joemeeks.