• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

Shredder

97' Standard/Marshall AVT 150
-Dig Zakk's sound and till I can save the $$ for the real amp the AVT does a pretty fair job. Having the 4 channels rocks.

R

R8Scotch

02 R8 Authentic (Butterscotch) through my homebrew 6G16 Vibroverb. Hence the name ;)
R8Scotch

dfs69

I love my '65 ES335TD INTO my blackfaced '69 Vibrolux Reverb. That or my Classic Plus into My VR into an extention cab 4x10.:dude :dude :dude :dude

dunkle72

I play an r-7 through a jcm2000 pushing a 4x12 loaded with greenbacks or a messa boogie maverick 2x12 comco also loaded with green backs with a boss turbo over drive with the level all the way up and the drive on about 2..Think Bryan May.

I also play a 92 classic flame top that was re-necked with a long tenion 59 shaped neck. That guitar has a duncan jb at the bridge and a duncan antiquity at the neck. The guitar is rough (beat to shit) after countless shows but it is such a tone monster.

55 Jr.

Howdy.

First off, I would like to state, here and now:
I covet Gold57's guitars.

:)

My stuff:

Guitars

55 Jr
68 tele (bigsby....yep, I kept it)

Amps

Matchless Spitfire (1-12 Weber blue dawg)
Top Hat Portly Cadet (a fat lil' f*cker, and I'm keepin this one too!)

Effects

Clyde Wah
Dejavibe
FulldriveIIfm
Matchless hot box
Line 6 dl4

Great thread!

All the best to you and yours this holiday season.

Kindest regards,

Brian

jetlag

'56 goldtop thru a bevy of vintage fender or gibson amps (whatever the gig calls for). Mostly a GA20 or GA6 coupled with a '60 tweed bassman or '57 tweed Pro with either a '65 fender reverb unit or a victoria reverberato. I also take out blackface stuff when I don't want to fool with outboard reverb. Other main guitars: '64 strat, '59 strat, '59 ES345(which is what got me here), '54 ES5, '57 Harmony H62, '60 tele and Dano U1's. I really dig the forum and thank everyone for all the good info.

doodman

1993 Cherry Sunburst Classic Plus through a Marshall TSL122. My first guitar bought new and still the one, out of five, that feels the best to me. I didn't even know what a "power chord" was! I just figured I knew I would continue to play, so why not start at the top?

Are we going to see any results on this survey? I would be curious to see a summary, tendancies, or even why you are asking.

TommyTunes

MY most played LP is a 00 Classic P+ with Classic 57 and 57+ pups and all vintage RI hardware including a aluminum tailpiece. I actually like it better than my 02 R7. Amp of choice is a Super Reverb RI with a Visual Basic Route 66 pedal (compression set off)

lchender

I play an R8 through a Reissue 65 Blackface Super Reverb for clean tone and through a JCM900 halfstack or Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier for dirty. YUM!

S

Snags

Goodwood said:
ANY late 50's Les Paul through a low powered tweed twin, or a 50 watt Marshall with a JBL loaded 4x12 cab.

YIKES!!:wow

oops...............I'm not a "newbie"

heeheehee, I don't even OWN a Les Paul, so THERE!!!!!

Hans-Peter Jantz

Different LPs Std. 80 into Marshall 800 or Soldano Slo(live) or a Fender The Twin (live) .In the studio I use a matchless HC 30 plus matchless 2x12 box.
Pedals:maxon od808,Ibanez Ts9, Roger mayer wah, Roger Mayer voodoo vibe.

beatlenut

Gibson newbie

I just got a 1991 wine red Gibson Les Paul Custom and I play it either thru a POD 2.0 direct into the PA while gigging or into a Flextone II XL at home. That is my first and probably last Gibson. Never thought I'd own one. My Epi LP standard with a SD 59 in the neck and SD custom in the bridge is now second fiddle along with my American strat.

StringBender

1982 Les Paul Custom Tobacco Sunburst through a 1978 Marshall JMP Master Volume with THD Hot Plate and THD 2x12 cab. Why? Because this setup gives me "THE TONE".

WunHungLo

98 DC Standard into a 1973 50w Marshall into a Palmer speaker emulator into a TC G-Major FX into stereo home-studio monitors.

Why? For THAT fully cranked sound with proper FX at playalongaCD levels (There's also a MB Studio Preamp in the rack for clean sounds)

bayani

An ebony Gibson Les Paul Junior Special w/Humbuckers (don't know what year it's from, w/Duncan 59/JB pickups and Grover Rotomatic tuning machines) through a Marshall JCM 900 100W Dual Reverb 1/2 stack or a Marshall AVT50 combo amp (pedals: a Boss Overdrive/Distortion, an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone, and a Crybaby)...why? Because that's all I've got (not counting a crappy Strat copy that sits gathering dust in the corner of my room in it's gig bag)!

~b~

Last edited: