• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

Blue Rufus

'81 ebony standard thru a late 70's silver face Princeton. Why? That's what I got.

DvnLesPaul

All Access/Backstage Pass
78 Custom
(3) Heritage 80 Elites
83 Spotlight Special
91 Standard "Flametop" JCM 2000 50w
95 Standard Plus custom made 4x12 cab w/ Celestions
96 Custom Plus
99 Custom Shop Standard
99 Elegant

I'm always amazed at the range of sounds from my arsenal. For such similar models they have drastically different voicings each and every one. I've learned a lot about my collection just since I've been coming here. (I had never noticed that the horn shape changed, now that it was pointed out here, I'm embarassed how obvious it is!) I have two of the Bacon Les Paul books that were my reference manuals for years. I wish this forum had been around a long time ago.

Bones

Les Paul Forum Member
EpihoneStandard Flame top through a Pig Nose amp with half dead batteries. Why? Because that's how I get that Jimmy Page sound everyone is looking for. :)

Agsded

I guess I'm one of the lower folks on the totem pole here, heh. Nothing real fancy. I mostly play my '89 Wine Red Les Paul Studio through a Randall RG100SC 100-Watt solid state 2 - 12" combo amp or my '64 Gibson GA-5 Skylark Crestline. Although I also play my '89 American Standard Stratocaster too. I guess the why would be that I had been given the strat and the little gibson amp for graduation from high school back in '91, and always wanted something better suited for metal and modern music. The randall amp just seemed like a lot of amp for the 300 bucks it cost me, and I've always thought les paul's were nifty, plus it was the best guitar I could afford that sounded good to me in town in the price range ($700). I tried several new Ibanez's and whatnot, and almost bought a PRS Santana SE, but after playing the LPS. I bought it and so far, have yet to look back.

Last edited:

Turbozag

Banned
Have to say the 78 "The Paul" with Sperzel black tuners, black Gibson hardware and EMG (81/85) pickups outplays em all. I use a Mesa Boogie Studio 22+ amp loaded with a JBL E120 speaker.

I can't believe the best playing guitar I own is also the lowest priced! Although my 2000 PRS Cu22 and my 70 LP DeLuxe are both VERY nice!

I am considering moving up to a Boogie Mk IV. But I want to try out a couple others like Bogner etc.

Mulder

'57 Black Beauty Custom RI with Tom Holmes 450 & 455 into an Echoplex and then into a '69 Marshall halfstack ..... Does everything I need. :hippy

Last edited:

57darkback

'01 R7 or '02 FB VII into a Vox AC15TBX although I am sitting here with a '99 Smartwood tuned down a half step on my lap now. No matter what else I'm playing (torturing would be a better term for my playing) I always come back to the goldtop:dude

McMad

57 RI or TV Special into 71 Superlead halfstack or 55 tweed Pro or 59 Bassman RI converted to handwired, sometimes using the original Brown Fender reverb unit, sometimes multi-amped w/ ABY box. Also 64 Candy Apple Red strat into above.
Why? Because I like to feel my pants legs in the breeze.

McMad

58flame

01 R8 modded with Burstbuckers #2 & #3, and .022 Black Beauty caps through Marshall JTM 60 2x12 whem volume is needed or Gibson GA-5T Skylark (circa 1959) when volume isn't needed.

Cycler

i play my 2002 standard through a clark beaufort, a fender champion 25, solid state practice amp, and every once in awhile, i take out a fender custom vibrolux reverb, new version...the 02 is the only LP i own, and my preference of amps is the clark beaufort...cant say enough good things about mike clark's amps, if you are into the tweed thing...

Guitar- 93 studio

Why- Cos it was cheap ($300,)

I love playing the smooth ebony fingerboard,

I've played it constantly for years which makes it easy to play (It's molded into my body)

I've modded it to bits and bash it around cos it's my work horse.

I have many other guiters that a more expensive but I don't play them as much.

Amp- I run a 60's JMI Vox AC30TB with a 73 Marshall superlead.

Why- Cos vintage amps sound better.

The two amps together compliment each other and sound amazing. Its a thick wall of tone.

I hav'nt found a nice old fender I've liked yet, I no there out there but no one wants to share with me.

Leftylespaul where in NZ are you from???

By the way I have no idea how many posts I've done I'm guessing about 100.

I find it funny most of you guys spend more $$ on your guitars than you do amps. Why do you do this???

Amps effect tone more than guitars.

Having lots of guitars means buying lots of strings this annoys me. At least with tube amps tubes can be swapped around etc..

I find guitars don't feel nice to play, if you haven't played them for awhile. Eg neck feels sticky, strings are old

Amps sound great if unused for a month or two.

Guitars sound better when used often. Well I can't claim this but it feels like they do.

Anyone want to enlighten me.

J-J

guitars:

Jimmy Page Signature
Slash
Zakk Wylde Rough Top

amps:
Legacy 100 w/Marshall 4X12 and Boogie 4X12

All I play is the Jimmy Page. Got it used, feel like I can play without worrying about banging it up. The others are more for collecting.

The Legacy is extemely very versatile.

guitargary

Standard and a Classic through a few different amps. 410 DeVille, 112 Deluxe, 112 Reverend, 212 Bel-Air, and a 65TwinReverbRI. Although with the Twin I use my 335 mostly. I use to run it through a JCM800 A/B'd with the Twin. Funny how things work. My first stage amp was a 68 silverface Bandmaster 100w with a 412 cab, this was back in 68,69,70. Since then I tried Marshall, Vox, Mesa, Peavey, I guess you could say I've gone full-circle with the amps. I'm pretty much back to Fender now.

Classic Goldtop

I only have a 96 Classic Goldtop in mint condition (with no green on the frets) but it competes with a JEM and a Lonestar Strat for playing time. I play it through a JCM600 halfstack or a seldom used Fender Studio 85. I also have a BOSS GT5 and more pedals than a guitar shop has but they are used only when absolutely necessary. I prefer straight through or maybe a compressor when going to tape. As soon as I can afford it I will dump the tape and move to hard drive.

Lochinvar

'83 LP Custom and a Rivera TBR-1SL amp. The Custom is a bit of a beater but it has a tone like no other.

I just bought a Dual Recto and I suspect this will become my main amp. The Custom doesn't get along so well with it. I also own a 91 Classic that seems to be a better match for the Recto.