• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

M

Malach

'01 Studio -> Rivera K55 -> Jenkins 2x12 "convertible" cab (usually kept sealed).

astro

Why is no one answering the "and why" part?

I would be interested to hear why people like their setup.

I play the custom and the Ampeg VL 503(with tesla tubes) with a closed back gretsch cabinet with 2 12inch speakers because VL stands for Very Loud and it truly sounds great for hard rock/punk.

Not too buzzy like a Peavey 5150. With the LP it sounds more like a classic Marshall than our other guitar players Marshall JCM 900.

Bluedawg

Here it is

Since I put Burstbuckers in my early 90s LP Classic I have had trouble putting it down. They work very well for my guitar and my tastes.

I also have to get out the old '74 20th Anniversary Custom every once in a while cause it sounds so nice.

I run it through a Peavey Classic 50 410 cause that's all I got. I'm eyeballing a Carr Rambler or maybe a '65 Deluxe Reverb, but haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger for that much cash.

For home recording I run it through a Johnson J station.

Will I get kicked off the board if I admit I play my PRS McCarty almost as much as my LPs?

Tchuss

Mark :60burst

GreenRiver

69 Custom (usually) direct to a Blonde/Oxblood Fender Bassman Head and Twin Cab. Why??? I like the bottom end and clean crisp tones. I have been know to run it thru any number of pedals too.

jmp2204

OK....

A 1980 Custom into either a '73 VibroChamp, '78 or '81 jmp2204, JTM45RI, DSL100 or Magnatone 460 Custom. A visual Sound h2o pedal, SD-1 or TS-9 in between sometimes.

And why?
The Custom because that's the only LP I have (discounting a '99 SG Standard), but it's probably the VC that it gets paired with the most because they both reside upstairs!

cndoman

Les Paul Forum Member
30th ann. goldtop lefty and 96 std. thru new little marshall mg30dfx. and zoom 505II thru the phones. (I lve in a condo ).

Mark Doebrich

2002 Desertburst Standard through a Germino Rockgrinder Combo!

Why? It is my first LP an my first "nice" amp. I did a bunch of research and comparison shopped a bit. The burstbuckers sounded better than the 490/498. The Rockgrinder overwhelmed the Marshall Bluesbreaker RI that first impressed me. So much time to shop and so little money!

Last edited:

lespaulartisan

74 20th anniversary (Cherry burst) though a 66 SR or a 69 DR

Why? Because i love the sound of the old Fender amp with the LP's. I have a killer Custom Shop Strat that i can't seem to play anymore because i love my paul's tone so much more... I know that they are two different animals and that's why i will keep the Strat around for that tone that is only the Strat...

:boobs

Last edited:

Hackubus

Les Paul Forum Member
R7 GT,95 TV Yellow double cutawaySpecial and an EDS 1275 into a Rivera Quinana 2x12.
Why?
Wellllllllllll thanks to the LPF, I could no longer maintain a happy existence unless I got that durned old Goldtop! Still ain't figured out why I felt the need for a doubleneck yet.
As fer the Quinana, I had went out Marshall huntin one morning, but Dave at Big Harry's convinced me to try out his Rivera. It sounded so good (bear in mind this was the 3rd or
4th amp I tried that morning) that my wife came running up from the back the of store & said "THAT'S THE ONE!" God bless her. Now if she'd just help me move that heavy sumbitch sometimes.

CustomPlayer

76 Wine Red Custom through a CyberTwin.

Why?

Because the CT is so versatile and affords me a multitude of sounds. I don't gig (yet), and it is hard to imagine lugging that beast around, but it doesn't bother me.

Why the LP Cust? It is the only LP I own. I play my 67 Gretsch and 84 Strat through it too.

moretone2002

96 Les Paul STD HCSB(with Rio Grande BBQ & Texas pick-ups),99 American STD Strat(with the pick-ups from the Les Paul installed),and an old beat 73 strat(set up for slide) through a TSL122(with two vintage thirties) and a JCM900 4102.The pre-amp from one of the loops on the TSL feeds the power-amp in of the JCM900.Echo is provided by an original Boss DD2 and modulation comes courtesy of Marshall Supavibe(both live in the effects loop).I use this set up because i love my guitars-i worked on them for years to get them sounding and playing just the way i want them too,and you just cannot beat a marshall for classic,instantly identifiable all-out rock/blues tones.

Darrell

2000 Classic ( sounds just like a original 59 :lolspin :lolspin ) through a Tweed Blues Deville for Stage, Cranked sounds great ! to loud for Home use . At home A Fender Champ or Gibson GA17RVT , Both sound great and are easily over driven to this cool overdriven, rock , blues , bad ass tone:dude :dude cranked all the way and it don't hurt yur body. I'm getting wood just thinking about it, ohhhhhhhhhhh babbbbbbby, got to go........

billywade

Lately

An '01 Class 5 bone stock through a Line6 Flextone II XL.
Why? 'cause it's simple and it gets the sounds I like.

Of course this rig is subject to change with no notice.

Last edited:

frehley76

'02 LP Custom '68RI through a Laney TT20 Head and matching 12" cab. I play straight through and just love the pure tube sound. For playing live I play through a Laney AOR 50 head with a 4x12 Celestions Laney cab. It's brutal!

Frehley76

Lewis_H

Honeyburst Standard purchased new in 1999, modd with creme Dimarzios-Super 2 neck&Super Distortion bridge into late model Hot Rod Deluxe. Incredibly hot, thick LP tone a la Al DiMeola or Frank Zappa. All i've got in terms of electrics, in addition to a Guild Starfire III and American Double Fat Strat Hardtail.

Jimi D

'01 Deluxe Goldtop or '96 Studio with P-90s into a SF Deluxe Reverb... Budda Bud Wah and Fulltone Full-Drive 2 in between... My favorite rig of late
:dude