• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

mrbeasty

I have a lot of guitars and a lot of amps but the older I get the more I prefer the sound of a great unplugged electric guitar. Lately I have been playing a featherweight 2014 R9 and a ‘73/‘74 Custom ... unplugged.

DCLEWIS

I have previously only owned one LP and that was a 1973 Custom black beauty which I like to play through a '80 Fender Champ or my 1964 Fender Concert amp.

I just sold my '73 custom and I have a 1959 LP JR on the way so I'll soon be playing that through my Champ.

somebodyelseuk

2019 60th Annie R9>Mesa Boogie Triaxis>Marshall 20/20>2x 1x12 Celestion V30....

...or a Vox AC4TV, if I'm feeling lazy.

DaveHath

That is a hard question because it is mood dependant....... but I would have to say my my 78 Deluxe Gold Top with Rio Grande BBQ bucker in the bridge and mid 70s Gibson HB in the neck.... through a 73 Vibrochamp

At the moment I am currently Playing an XR2 into one of my silver face fender Princeton

I have owned all of these since the late 80s...when they were all cheap or at least reasonably priced......
other favorites include my 1996 LP DC Studio in transparent green through any amp
and my LP of unknown origin....(Fujigen or Matsumoku) mini HBs through just about any amp....

DaveHath

I have previously only owned one LP and that was a 1973 Custom black beauty which I like to play through a '80 Fender Champ or my 1964 Fender Concert amp.

I just sold my '73 custom and I have a 1959 LP JR on the way so I'll soon be playing that through my Champ.

What a great sounding combo....I also love the sound of a 70s LP through a champ or vibrochamp....something so simple and right about the sound

Rocktop

01 Std w/vintage PAFs, covers and harness thru Reverend Hellhound 1x12 tube combo 40/60 watt
versatile amp does a great Vox chime and grind as well as other classics. Voxy sound my fave from this amp.
Rocks hard and loud or soft and sweet. On occasion...use a Maxon SD9 Distortion.

MattStaggs1101

I play a 2020 LP Studio, SmokeHouse Burst through a Marshall Code 50 amp and an extension cabinet both with Celestion Classic Lead 80's and a Marshall Code Pedal. With the parallel connection I get the 4 ohm load with the two speakers that the amp requires. I get tons of different tones, amps and speaker selections with the Code 50. I just ordered a set of Dimarzio Transition Pickups for the Paul, however, with the pandemic they wont be in from Dimarzio until November. Looking forward to these. Heard a set of these played by a local musician with a LP Custom and it is the greatest set of pickups I've heard since getting the SD hot rodded pickups earlier this year.

JASIII

I just got a 2018 R9 back in June. Mint condition, Royal Teaburst. My main amp is a Frenzel FM763VR "Super Vibe Reverb" into a 2 x 12 cab with Weber speakers. My "grab and go" amp is a Fender DRRI with an Eminence Cannabis Rex hemp cone speaker.

Lester

'77 Deluxe, Champ 600 Reissue. Tonelab ST for amp simulation as I have to play at low apartment volumes. Oh, and a Digitech Trio for bass/drum tracks. Haven't quite figured out the Trio yet. Only pedal is a vintage VOX WAH.

Not playing out right now so that's all I need. If I start playing out again, will probably add in some basic pedals... and a Blues Jr.

guitartomy

early 70s Goldtop w/humbuckers into Vox AC30 (UK-made)
or
2019 Special TV into Boogie Fillmore 25 & Div by 13 2x12 open back.

Greywolf

I play my CS '55 Special more than my 79 custom , along with the rosewood neck "lil sister" 3 sisters.jpg

jaygl1971

Usually my 2022 Gibson LP custom ebony and my Marshall silver jubilee 2525c. Such a great range of sounds to be had. I'll play my 2021 LP standard 60's unburst or my 2023 fender telecaster at jams through the 2525c also, but mainly my custom. Here's the two in action at my bands second gig (opening for a friend's bands album release). Venue holds about 600, had about 250 in attendance. The 2525c held its own nicely with the master volume only on 7.

Last edited:

guitartomy

things have changed a lot for me - lately it's either a Junior double-cut TV or maybe the '93 Classic into a 65 Amps Li'l Elvis.