• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

Leña_Costoso

Hey not a newbie, but since I've been gone for quite a few years, now back, I thought I've share.

Basically... I found myself amp-less, since I was playing my Ovation Adamas exclusively.

Well, without the long story, I'm back into playing electrics, so had to decide on an amp.

After much consideration, I'm building up a modified tweed-type "Super". I've done this circuit before in a Bassman style and Super style cabinet, it works well. My modifications are to the input and the recovery stage before the cathodyne phase inverter, and thats all I'm sayin about it!

No pictures yet, but, the cabinet will be a MojoTone, done up in basic black tolex and aged grill. It'll have tilt back legs. Speakers are sitting here at my elbow and they're a pair of G10 Vintage Celestions. Eventually, there will be an "extension cabinet" of the same size, cut for a the Fender type reverb unit, also 2x10. I may get two greenback 10's and mix them in each cabinet, dunno yet. They say (who are "they" anyway?), that the Super is a 28 watt amp. I disagree. Someplace in my mind, I seem to recall that the 4x10 I made up measured at 43watts, since it used Bassman type transformers. The Super will be using the same, and the slightly juiced recovery stage will drive the phase inverter to about the same voltage swing as a long tail pair - hence the same power.

Still have a good three to four weeks of wait for the cabinets to arrive. Pictures to follow (of course!)

brunswick67

i'll go first.

i like my 01 std+ with antiquities most of all. i play it into either a silverface champ or silverface bassman into a 2x12. nothing added other than a distortion or boost pedal. i gotta go with the champ with the pharoah class-a-boost in front as my favorite setup. it gets that nice tubey breakup sound. on a rare occasion i'll use a digitech all in one pedal on a filthy setting to exorcise my metal demons. and i gotta confess that i still really dig abusing the '79 "the paul" on occasion also.

i hope the wise old sages of the LPF are not offended by this thread. i apologize for excluding them but i really am interested in hearing from some of the 4000+ members who, like myself, spend the great majority of their time here reading.

to those wise old sages, i enjoy the great majority of the info and a lot of the humor you all share here. many thanks.
I am the newest of newbe's, I just purchased a 2017 JP tribute honeyburst t, & I love it! And I just joined the forum, I play it through a Mesa Boogie Mk. V 25w thru a Carvin Legacy 212, a ts-9 overdrive with the gain set almost off just for a little push, an Mxr carbon copy, and a digitech supernatural if I wanna get trippy. Still discovering the Joys of L.P. sustain with clarity, I love my other single cuts but they are definitely different sounding, LP's definately got their own thing going on, I thought it was all hype til I got one, U guess I finally drank the Kool-aid but I'm loving it!

charlie051

2016 Les Paul Studio T through a Laney LC-30 1x12 combo or Dr.z Z Mini through Ampeg 2x12 cabinet with Celestion 80 watt speakers. The Dr. Z is much louder than it should be; one volume control and attenuater. It's a wonderful, awesome amp. Pedal friendly too. The Laney is very "Marshall" like. I love that amp.
*Full disclosure, also a Highway1 blonde Telecaster and sunburst Strat with Dimarzio Area pickups. I play them all often.

DougR

68 SG and 98 Studio DC usual amp is a Line 6 spider thingy.

Full disclosure - Also have a Vantage 335 clone which is a bundle of fun and a variety of other amps.

macg1

I have played several combinations of vintage and new LPs and amps over the years. The ones that made the cut:

1) My 1973 LPC that used to be Kim Simmonds' #1 for years. Not only does it sound unreal (he changed the pickups to Shaws), it also led to my meeting him in person

2) My 1971 54/58 LP GT. Pretty amazing guitar and killer P90 tone.

3) My amps of choice are: a 1963 Fender Pro 1x15. It has been great for years and just got the once over by Jelle Welagen, so she is good to go for another 50 years! The other amps are custom build by Dom Mancini of Celestial Effects. He builds amps also for a small clientele under the moniker "Firebird Musical Amplifiers." He has built me a TW Express inspired amp and one of his original designs also.

Last edited:

fstroupe

Sorry, missed this thread when I first joined.

I have a 2017 Tribute burst finally replacing the '79 Standard I sold in 1984. Seriously, this guitar feels and sounds exactly like the Standard, except being much lighter. Actually, the modern 490 pickups may actually have a better (closer to PAF) "clean" sound than the ones in my Standard did, though the bottom end is typically muddy.

Yes, the lack of binding does bother me slightly, but nowhere near as much as I thought it would.

Future plans are new electronics (CTS pots and PIO caps), PAF clones of some kind, maybe tuners, and most likely refinishing. The top is very figured but the "Gibson faded satin finish" totally hides it.

I currently have three amps, a 1972 AA371 Bassman that I rewired to AB165 with a 2x12 Fender cabinet, a 1972 Champ, and an Epiphone Galaxie 10. Each amp has its own desirable qualities and I swap between them. (I use the Bassman usually when my wife has left the house lol)

I've been playing for 40 years, but probably 25-30 of those years were spent not playing. I recently started back after a 10 year or so hiatus.

I am a 100% bedroom player and have been since the mid-1980s.

txc500

I just got a 1992 Classic w Sunburst finish and a great flame top. It's all original, not really a case queen but in real nice used condition. Looks great, plays great. I play through a silver face Fender Vibro Champ and a mid 60's Ampeg Gemini II.

jakbur

2016 LP Standard T with 2017 Gibson aluminum bridge/tailpiece and Kinman 59 pickups played thru my AxeFX II XL+. Also liking my 2015 LP Special with Kinman P90s and Pigtail wraparound bridge but haven't played out with that one yet. Really have been enjoying the sound and feel of my newer Gibson guitars including my 2017 SG Standard T.

Last edited:

elisasound

Hi all. My first post. I have a 2001 LP Custom Tom Murphy in Cherry Burst and I just picked up one of the new LP Tribute Gold tops which I really love. Its so much lighter. I play through Fender and Vox amps in the studio and use a Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 live. :)

Davism77

2012 Les Paul traditional with a few retro tweaks, often through a 1977 champ, but more recently have rediscovered my 1984 JCM 800 4101 50w behemoth. What a sound!

S738226

Axe is a 76 boogered up Custom. One hell of a guitar: rings like a bell. keeps sustaining while you go to the can, have a smoke, and go out back real quick. Some hippie with more time than sense stripped it, took off the binding, and smoothed it out. 10.5 lbs,same as my 77 jazz bass. stock pickups were lovely and hi-fi sounding, so i started changing them, of course. Currently using Slash signatures and cannot make up my mind. Def thinking A5 would be a feasible swap. As to why: Ebony fingerboard, 3 piece maple neck, 4 piece body. Oooo-rah!

Amp is a 50 watt stock 66 Bassman. I got into Bassmans back in the 80s when you could walk into any pawnshop and buy one for 50 bucks. Totally nails the Double Live Gonzo thing. I like 1 or 2 15's. Basically what happened was no matter what kind of 50 watt Marshall I would buy, it had 1 sound just louder, so i started using my bass rig. Bassman on 8 FTW! 6L6GC = best tube for me. 4 x 12 honk anyways :laugh2:

what's up with these slash pickups, btw? they nail fresh cream spoonful solo but meh for LAFE

S738226

76 custom into blackface bassman = double live gonzo or A&R studios for me. Champ for Why does love got to be so sad
WIN_20170813_12_28_38_Pro.jpg

RicOkc

2012 Trad. Pro
2013 1961 Les Paul Tribute (SG)
2010 Jr. Special DC

Fender Super Sonic 60

DG2003

2003 Custom Shop Les Paul (a special run for Sam Ash apparently) and a early 90'ish Mesa Boogie Studio 2+.

LeMonguer

Welp,

For starters I really shouldn't be on a Les Paul forum, I'm broke enough as it is.

But, you asked so...

04? LP gold top Deluxe, converted to p-90's way to clean and nice for an animal like me, this one I've only had for like 3 months but its gotten all my attention lately.

94 or 96 LP Studio Pro Gem, amythyst its ugly purple and gold but sounds and plays killer

78 LP custom black beauty, bone stock and in surprisingly good shape as I've owned it and played it live for over 20 years

76 LP standard tobacco burst, battered and beaten, necks been broke 4 times I'm aware of and is coming apart again, but she's my first and still the greatest

Been playing through a bugera v5 a lot lately, but my loud rig is a Mesa DC-5 and a Sovtek MIG 50 both through 4x10 cabs... I like me the 50w tube amps...

anyhow, like I said I shouldn't be here at all...

RedHotRed

1994 Gibson Studio Lite M-III
Peavey Tube 60 Vypyr

Don't feel bad, I have limited funds too, but always seem to score gear at killer prices..
You gotta keep your eyes open & snatch the deals up as they come..